1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Version Control

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by jamescrockford, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jamescrockford

jamescrockford Active Member

Hi all,

Very quick question, had a debate at work today around how versioning of documents should be. Some said as simple as 1, 2, 3 whereas others preferred decimals e.g. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2...the latter method only moving up a full number on a major change i.e. smaller changes only went up by a .1.

Personally I prefer full numbers as like to keep things REALLY simple but understand the other side also.

Keen to find out how others do it?

2. bkirch

bkirch Active Member

We use whole numbers. I think it is simpler.

Nicholas777 likes this.
  3. jamescrockford

Me too...I think because we have different versions of software release for which incremental decimal type versioning makes sense it has crept into document control also but not across the board i.e. there is a mixture.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Often, where 1.1, 1.2 etc is used were are speaking about "Configuration Management" not "version control" as such. We often see 1.1 etc with software, because of the need for management of the configuration of the software - because one entity can have various parts at different versions. Each version is controlled, which rolls up into a top level configuration. There may be many of those. Avoid a config management approach for simple documents.

5. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Keep it simple, the other way, wasting time discusing if Is major or minor, 1.2 or 2?.
    Into a management system there are a lot of issues more important to take care of.

6. jamescrockford

Amen!
    My thoughts exactly guys...thank you.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Another disadvantage of using decimals is you have to define a set of criteria to decide whether the revision is major and merits moving up to a higher whole number. I've seen also revision control where each page has its own revision number and will only use the same revision number if XX% of the pages are affected by the change. See sample below:

upload_2018-12-1_12-54-5.png

I don't recommend this approach.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  8. jamescrockford

Totally agree Tony.

The general consensus seems to be whole numbers which is a far easier and more simple approach that everyone can understand.