1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Facility Expansion

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by Jus25co, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Jus25co

Jus25co New Member

Hello,
    Our site will be undergoing an expansion lasting a little over 12 months. I was wondering if there would be any specific requirements that I would need to follow for ISO 14001 (we are already certified).

Would I have to add all the construction EPA/local regulations into our compliance register? Document the impacts of said construction and identify the risks? I am not really sure how much we need to document/analyze for this temporary aspect.

Appreciate any help in advance!
    -Justin

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Is your company doing the construction? If not, then the answer is the environmental management system doesn't need to cover it. Your scope isn't for construction projects is it? If it is, then yes, you'll have to cover it.

In simple terms, your scope is what dictates the coverage of any Management System. As far as added personnel, following the expansion, you should let your CB know - they will want to increase the audit time. If the new facility has new processes, materials etc. then you should update your aspects/impacts etc.

3. Jus25co

Jus25co New Member

Hi Andy,
    I appreciate your response. Our company isn't doing the construction, we have a contractors on site as well as local EHS consultants to help monitor the contractors and make sure they are following all applicable regulations.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

In determining environmental aspects as specified in 6.1.2 of ISO 14001, you may also consider the statement in 6.1.2.3 of ISO 14004 (i.e. Environmental management system - General guidelines on implementation):

"In addition to those environmental aspects the organization can control directly, it should also consider
    aspects that it can influence, e.g. those related to products and services used by the organization
    and those related to products and services it provides. When evaluating its ability to influence the
    environmental aspects, the organization should give consideration to its compliance obligations,
    its policies, local or regional issues and its obligations and responsibilities to interested parties.
    The organization should also consider the implications on its own environmental performance, for
    example by the purchase of products containing hazardous materials, activities carried out by external
    providers,
    including contractors or subcontractors, design of products and services, materials, goods or
    services supplied and used, and the transport, use, reuse, or recycling of products placed on the market."