1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Retain and Maintain - Clarification on Meanings

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by judegu, Jul 26, 2018.

1. judegu

judegu Well-Known Member

It is a question of beginners. However I want to make it clear for better understanding.
    In a training course of IATF16949, the trainer said that
    "Retaining a documented information means that a procedural document or equivalent for the corresponding process is a must while maintaining a documented information means that only records which serve as evidence of implementation is necessary."
    I wonder whether it is accurate or even correct.
    Please help me out on this matter. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2018
  2. judegu

judegu Well-Known Member

Sorry I used a wrong word. It should be "maintain", not "remain". And I didn't figure out how to edit the original post.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The trainer isn't accurate with their comment. Maintaining documented information and retaining documented information is what's required. Maintaining documented information pertains to such documents as procedures, instructions and so on.

4. judegu

judegu Well-Known Member

Sir. So what is the difference between the words "retain" and "maintain"? You mentioned that "Maintaining documented information pertains to such documents as procedures, instructions and so on". What about the documented information which need to be retained? Which kind of documents does it pertain to?

5. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Records are "snapshots" providing evidence of compliance. They are typically not changed. They are retained ("kept") per whatever retention policies you have. Retention may also pertain to, say, obsolete procedure documents.

Procedures should be continually evolving and thus they need to be maintained.

judegu likes this.
  6. judegu

judegu Well-Known Member

Wow, a quite good explanation to show the difference between "retain" and "maintain". Thanks.

Denise likes this.