1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001 - 2015 Audit Template Booklet for Supplier Assessment

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Squire, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Squire

Squire New Member

I have one of these from my last job but I worked for a large organisation who had the resourcs to draft their own document.

I now work for a smaller organisation so am simply looking for something off-the-shelf that I can purchase. It needs to consider all the parts of the standard have questions and then you allocate a score based on the reply of the supplier in each case. It is to be used for conducting audits of suppliers.

Any ideas about where I could purchase such a 'booklet' would be great!

2. Rajkumar

Rajkumar Member

Please search online and you will get plenty of free resources.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Are you auditing suppliers who are already ISO certified?

4. Squire

Squire New Member

Rajkumar, "using online documents"; copyright comes into it and also using documents in a commercial way which may be prohibited. I prefer to buy a document and be free of these issues. However, if you can recommend some that would complly with my two caveats, that would be great!
    Andy, ISO certified suppliers; Well most of them would be but some may not, however I would expect that they would be 'working towards it' and have most systems in place.

5. Andy Nichols

Can I ask why you want to audit them?

6. Squire

Squire New Member

Why else other than they need to be audited in order that I can evaluate them so they go from being 'unapproved' to 'approved supplier', in line with our 'supplier approval process'. Next question please?
    Maybe you buy mass produced items like bolts or lipstick or straws for sucking pop or even frilly knickers, I have no idea.... My firm buys low volume custom manufactured items, however i can say that volume manufacturers also audit their suppliers and when i worked for larger manufacturers I also did this...

7. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I believe what Andy is attempting to do is to see if you're willing to change how you've being doing things up to this point. The "that's the way we've always done it" approach is not accepted when we attempt to change or tweak a process within our organizations, and so it should not be accepted within our own field of quality/business management systems. Your previous organization was larger and not only had the resources to create what they needed, but would it be fair to presume that they also had the resources (i.e., people, time, money) to do these types of audits? Does your current organization have this? Will the same approach that perhaps worked well for the larger organization add the same value to your small organization, including their financial bottom-line?

Where does it say in ISO 9001 that we shall audit our suppliers as the means by which we evaluate them?

Would a spreadsheet or database to track incoming products or purchased services suffice as a means to demonstrate that your organization's needs are consistently being met? If so...consider that evaluation.

If they're new suppliers or problematic, they're identified as being "on probation" (rather like a newly hired employee or an employee that requires coaching) for a certain amount of time, until sufficient data is collected in the spreadsheet. Once that's done, their status on the spreadsheet/in the database can be updated to Approved.

If you want something a little more formal, there's the document package that asks new suppliers if they're ISO 9001 registered. If they are, they can send a copy of their certificate - no audit needed. If they are not, they have to answer the questions in the package, which usually asks about their complaint process, how they identify/determine/confirm your organization's requirements, and other "open-ended audit-like questions" - again, no audit needed.

And if, by this point in my response - or this overall thread - you're wondering why no one has linked in something to help you, it could be because very few of us, from our own experiences, see value or efficiency in supplier audits as the mechanism to move a supplier from 'Unapproved' to 'Approved'.

judegu and tony s like this.
  8. Squire

Squire New Member

Great reply Roxana, you are a star!!!

Suppliers, were not audited in the past in this firm at all. I do a desktop exercise to catagorise suppliers as non-critical, semi-critical and critial. Suppliers are gagued against a range of criteria and their final score means they fall into one of these catagories. For semi-critical an audit is optional. For critial suppliers it is mandatory. I use the information gained from the audit to subsequently generate 'quality plan' which i find are a very useful tool when we win a contract and we place an order with these critical suppliers. Besides, my present firm has a slush fund to allow me to fly here and their and actually quite nice places. I do like the travelling also and I'm the envy of the rest of the office and i go off on these jollies (as they see it) from time to time. Also it is about building relationships so I like to 'press the flesh' and meet my compatriots. This works wonders when you have a hot issue and you know the man to call. Finally, I'm from the camp that like to kick the tyre myself rather than believe someone who tells me the tyre is good and I have to fix a puncture a few miles down the road. Enough said, I have to go and 'see a man about a dog'. But b4 I go I'm still on that quest for that document I can buy off-the-shelf to carry out these audits. Seems we dance around the topic in this dialogue but never get to the point where we get an answer. Prevaricacion seems to be in vogue. If I ask for a spade, i want a spade and nothing else...

9. Andy Nichols

Yes, indeed. Be that as it may. I'm interested to know WHY you would audit an ISO 9001 Certified company? ISO 9001 doesn't require you to audit suppliers and, indeed, speaking from significant supply chain quality management experience, it's a complete waste of time and effort when there are many, many other ways to "approve" suppliers...

Frankly, you are looking for something which doesn't exist. The off the shelf document to do audits you seek doesn't exist. You seek a one-size-fits-all solution and they never work.

10. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Squire, this is a professional forum where people help each other on a volunteer basis. No one is paid to help, and we don't ask for anything in return. We do, however, ask that everyone converse on a professional level and do not abuse or ridicule others. Pleas tone down your responses. Andy's approach may not have been what you were looking for, but he was trying to help by addressing the underlying cause for your question.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
    Amit Ballal likes this.
  11. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If an organization's top management get to read the responses above, I believe auditing of ISO 9001 compliant suppliers against the standard itself will be scrapped.

12. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Why should I go thru the hassle of ISO 3rd party audits if you're going to audit me anyway? I have no problem with you visiting and discussing substantive issues. But I have better things to do if you're going to repeate what I just did.

Andy Nichols likes this.