1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Job Descriptions

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Dan B, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Clause 5.3 of the standard only says "Top management shall ensure that the responsibilities and authorities for relevant roles are assigned, communicated and understood within the organization."

Very new to the company, which is very behind on upgrade certification. GM is adamant that every position in the organization needs a Job Description in the "new" QMS. I am having a hard time agreeing with this, am I missing something in the standard?

PS...amazing site to have stumbled on, some really great people in here.

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

No requirement for job descriptions. If they work for you, then fine. If not, fine as well. A lot will depend on the size of the company.

You can meet the standard with various types or org. charts -- functional charts, accountability charts, etc. In a smaller company, telling people what they do can work as well.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  3. Dan B

Dan B New Member

By chance have any handy examples of organizational charts? Need to load my gun with as much ammo as I can...

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

If you google "organizational charts" you may find some generic examples that you can use.

Consider, as well, that a properly standardized (and, dare I say it, documented) QMS also indicates who does what and when and how - there's your 'assigned'. Effective training on these documents and you now have 'communicated.' Actually conforming to the documented process and achieving desired results (i.e., hitting the associated targets) or responding to when targets are not achieved) indicates 'understood.'

tony s likes this.
  5. Patts

Patts Member

The subject of job descriptions came up in our ISO 9001:2015 transition audit last week, not for Clause 5.3 but for 7.2 Competence. My company does not generally use job descriptions, and the auditor questioned what criteria we used to assure a person was competent to do their job. We have an org.chart, and our work instructions list responsibilities, but he said to meet the standard we need to know what competence or qualifications are needed for each position. After much discussion, it wasn’t even an OFI, but we did think the auditor made some good points (particularly when we look for a new hire), so are considering writing JDs.

6. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

In your case, you many only need job qualifications as opposed to descriptions - what do they need to do the job. We keep them simple. Start with a "pulse" and work from there. :)

Patts likes this.
  7. Patts

Patts Member

Thanks, Golfman! We actually had discussion about that (we said "be breathing"!). The auditor was fine with adding disclaimers: "Must have this degree/experience/qualification OR we just LIKE them." We do think the exercise of thinking this through will be beneficial. Thanks!