1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

5.2 1 a nc, in policy in transition to 2015?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hi everybody
    While been audited, the auditor raised a minor nc, because according his perception the quality policy was not appropriate.
    The reason , it was very generic, it could be used in any business,he suggested to specify what the company does, our business is a shoe and bags producer.
    Please give some input.
    I see this like an improvement, not a nc
    At what extent , we have to reflect the business in a policy, moreover when policy is too short (3 paragraphs )?
    Thanks

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

If you provide the details it may be easier to advise. But I would say you'd be hard pressed to find a nc on a quality policy. Most are short and sweet. They refer to meeting customer expectations, continuous improvement and such.

3. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Lets say
    Policy says
    Company A deliver high quality products, our people is responsible with client.
    We practice the continual improvement.
    Is something like this , in this point he told we had to specify "shoes and bags"when mentioning products.
    I just mentioned one paragraph,where he raised the nc.
    Thanks

4. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

We have spilled much ink here and at the Cove in quality policies. I am becoming of the mindset that quality policies cause more trouble than any value they give.

On this subject I would be very interested to ascertain how the auditor came to the conclusion that the quality policy is too short; and then to claim it's an NC.

I agree that it's an improvement. It sounds like the auditor wants to write your Quality Policy. :)

Jennifer Kirley and Qualmx like this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'd agree, until "Context of the Organization" came along. To address the OP - the auditor is waaaay out of place on this.

Qualmx likes this.
  6. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Brad and Andy

Well, he didnt refer that policy is short, what he told us is that we have make the policy like "proprietary"
    I mean to describe into the policy, the products we produce (shoes and bags)

Thanks

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

That's rubbish and he/she clearly doesn't know the policy from the scope. I'd send the CB a complaint saying their auditor is clearly incompetent.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  8. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

@Andy Nichols is absolutely correct on this topic. It is fair and appropriate to request "what's the rule?" for all nonconformances issued by a registrar.

i.e. Clause 5.2.1 States, "...shall...quality policy that:
    a) "...appropriate to the purpose..."
    b) "...framework for setting ...objectives"
    c) "...commitment to satisfy applicable requirements"
    d) "...commitment to continually improve"

It is fair and appropriate to request that the registrar clearly state the gap between these rules and your quality policy. Only gaps between the two can be subject to a non-conformance.

Qualmx likes this.
  9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Section 3.6.9 of ISO 9000:2015 defines nonconformity as "non-fulfillment of a requirement". Therefore there must be a requirement first before an auditor can decide that there is a nonconformity. Ask the auditor, "Can you point to me the specific statement in the standard that requires the mention of products and services in the quality policy?"

John C. Abnet, jaltangerel and Qualmx like this.
  10. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hanks Tonys
    I think that the Standard is not too clear in 5 2.1 a) is appropriate to....., I mean it could be added a lot of few definitions, it doesn't specify the detail, so auditor can't take good decisions.
    But it was the only risen, So I took it as an opportunity to take a minor adjustmement .
    Do you think is good decision on my side?
    Thanks

11. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Actually, I also agree that the organization's products and services are mentioned within the statement of the quality policy. But I cannot agree that by not mentioning would constitute a nonconformity.

Qualmx likes this.
  12. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

This is a good case for a dispute. I see no value in trying to grade the verbiage in a Quality Policy. There are so many more important things to focus on.

13. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Tonys
    What would you answer to an auditor ,ln this case if he tells you that is not appropiate.
    I wonder What exactly we have to mention on it,in order to be appropiated?
    Thanks

14. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I'll ask him:
    1. Define "appropriate".
    2. Where in the standard that prohibits the use of generic statement like "deliver quality products"?
    3. Is "delivery of quality products" not "appropriate" to our organization's "purpose"?
    4. Can you define "nonconformity"?
    5. Do you know that to establish a nonconformity there must be a requirement first?
    6. Again, "Can you point to me the specific statement in the standard that requires the mention of products and services in the quality policy?"