1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Quality Objectives

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by jamescrockford, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jamescrockford

jamescrockford Active Member

I've never been particularly happy with the quality objectives we set and as part of transition to ISO9001:2015, I am keen to get some decent ones in place.

We currently have KPIs such as PPM defects, warranty costs as a % of sales turnover, OTD, Internal Rejects/Rework and Supplier OTD and PPM defects with targets set for all.

I know these are pretty standard but do you think they are sufficient?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

James, I usually start with the basics of meeting requirements, right first time and on time. At a high level, those can be broken down as the objectives for the various (key) processes of the QMS and goals set from that. In that way, even some "less-than-obvious" processes can be looked at for improvement.

normzone likes this.
  3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

To borrow James's wording "I've never been particularly happy with..." using KPIs as objectives. Perhaps it's semantics. Perhaps it's the culture I was fortunate to work in at the time. But I look at objectives as being an overarching, grand result of my organization's "quest".

For example...

Objective | Provide an enhanced experience in our interactions with our clients.
    KPI | Improve OTD accuracy to XX% by <insert date>.
    KPI | Reduce manufacturing-based customer complaints by XX% by <insert date>.

We used tree diagrams to help show how our metrics supported the achievement (or, in some cases, the non-achievement) of an objective, and to help us cascade the metrics and results between levels so that everyone could see how their role impacted an objective.

normzone likes this.
  4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

In setting long term objectives, for example to reduce 5 % rejects, and planned to be measured annually.
    What date is recommended to start with them.

Suppose I want to set it now, from october 2017 to october 2018, is it ok, or is better starting in january 2018 to january 2019.

Is there pros and cons in defining timeframes in any month of the year?

I´ve seen most of objectives starting in every january.

Please share your thoughts.

5. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

Do you have clean data to work from ?
    Do you have a plan, or are you simply plotting points and hoping the trend line runs the correct direction?
    Have you made changes to data collection / reporting that affect the way the results are perceived?
    Do you need to make changes as above to get useful information from your data?

Things like this may affect your decision on where to start.

6. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks,I,ll explain it a little bit
    Now I have objectives in 2008, with no timeframe, but at this moment Im working in transicion to 2015, and want to redefine them.
    Because in 2015, the standard ask to define a timeframe for objectives,that is the reason of my question, I want to define timeframe starting in october 2017, hope I have explained clear.

7. jamescrockford

jamescrockford Active Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

In reviewing our quality policy to ensure it is worthwhile and punchy, I will also establish the quality objectives, around the usual areas of our product meeting customer requirements, enhancing customer satisfaction and of course demonstrating continuous improvement (reducing waste, improving productivity, C.A. closure time etc.) From these objectives, we will have a set of KPI's with targets that if achieved, will result in hitting our quality objectives.

How does this sound?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  8. Avinashevs

Avinashevs Member

Quality objective requirements mention in standard need to be incorporated in setting quality objective. 6.2 clause need to be understand and implement in quality objective.

9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Well it's a sound approach. You may also need to set objectives, KPIs and targets on support processes though (e.g. maintenance, HR, purchasing, accounting, IT)

10. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Tonos
    Un the document showing objectives,will be recomnended to show also the kpi of the proceses supporting them? Because I have a separated document showing the processes with their kpis
    Thanks

11. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Yes you can do that.

Qualmx likes this.