1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

4.3.1 Scope- Supporting functions

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by John C. Abnet, Oct 11, 2017.

1. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day all;'
    I would like to initiate conversation regarding "Supporting functions"...as discussed within 4.3.1. Particularly, the following considerations (feel free to add...)...
    - Remote geographic locations
    - Site audits
    * Internal audits
    * 3rd party audits
    - etc..

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand the question or what conversation you are trying to initiate.

3. John C. Abnet

Good morning RoxaneB. No specific question. I have just had numerous questions/conversation raised regarding this clause and am wondering what the community has heard, if there is a common position. I am simply trying to see what the community's opinion is without biasing the response(s) with my opinions or by asking a specific question.

Thanks in advance

4. RoxaneB

In order to give an opinion, one needs to understand the context or scope of the topic. It's just like an audit. You don't say to someone "So, tell me what you do." You give context to the question so that they know how actually answer you..."How do you know what to make next" or "How do you know if what you've made is good" or "What kind of training have you had to do this job".

I think you'd get more of a response if you provided an actual question - even one of the numerous questions that have come your way - to help QFO members understand how to frame their answer or provide a more focused response. Just my two cents.

5. John C. Abnet

Thanks again for the feedback RoxaneB. Here is one of the scenarios...

Large manufacturing company in USA (A) has distribution warehouse (shipping to customer) location in Canada (B) . USA location is 16949 certified. Canada facility has no current certification. The obvious questions raised are ...
    1- Should the Canadian distribution center (B) hold its own certification?
    2- Should the USA manufacturing location add distribution center to its (A) scope and have included in 3rd party audits as part of "A" ?

Thanks in advance

6. RoxaneB

Not sure if 16949 is different, but with 9001, we had manufacturing in Canada and sales based out of the US. The US sales location was included within our scope and was subject to both internal and external audits.

7. John C. Abnet

Thank you for your response RoxaneB.

From the single response/anecdote from within the community, I assume this is a gray area for many. Your anecdote *("...included in the scope and subject to..." ), matches our interpretation and approach.

Be well

8. Serious Man

Serious Man Active Member

I know few automotive companies including one I work for. Understanding of remote supporting functions and outsourcing subjects is on various levels. Average is poor.
    I am sure 3rd party auditors should be more hard on it. I mean their observations from manufacturing site versus remote supporting function audit report.
    Maybe IATF saw a risk there, but unfortunately did not establish convenient methods how to manage related to site interactions concerns so far.