1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Re-naming Non-Conformance Report?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Jazmin, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Jazmin

Jazmin New Member

Hello

I am looking for some advice on re-naming our Non-conformance Report. For me, NCR carries a negative connotation and i believe it is stopping employees from raising important issues.

I would therefore like to name it something else, such as an Opportunity for Improvement. However, I don't know if this will be acceptable under ISO? I guess as long as you still identify the issue and carry out corrective/preventive action it doesn't really matter what the document is called? But I'm just not sure.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jazmin

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Welcome and congrats on your first post!

I'd avoid that particular rename only because OFI's are usually done in advance of a nonconformance occurring.

You could try something such as Quality Improvement Notice - or just Improvement Notice if you wish to use it across the organization, regardless if the issue is quality-related - and then have a section where the initiator indicates if the QIN is for an actual noncononformance or an opportunity for improvement.

3. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

We do something similar, I use a "Quality Alert Notice" when things need "adjusting". (Maybe not an issue yet, but could be a possible issue, so hears a heads up.)
    Next level up would be an NCR in this case. Then a CAR. Sort of a hierarchy of issues.

4. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

What you call it should have no impact on ISO. It's the actual function of the report which is dispositive.

5. Jazmin

Jazmin New Member

Hi All

Thank you so much for the responses and advice.

I like your suggestion RoxaneB. Something along those lines would suit the company.

RoxaneB likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If you have people who think it's bad to call something what it really is, you've got a bigger cultural/management problem that renaming it won't address. Don't avoid the issue by calling it something politically correct. The definitions in ISO 9000 refer to non-conformity as a "the non-fulfillment of a requirement". I'd suggest that it's far better to deal with peoples' understanding than simply changing the name...

7. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Good points all around but I especially appreciate Andy's comment. People should be thanked for finding issues that otherwise would be found by your customer!

I remember a discussion of "software bugs" a while back. One person went so far as suggesting they should be referred to as "software spoilage." The point was to give it even MORE negative connotation and eliminate it before release.

David Bradley and Andy Nichols like this.
  8. David Bradley

David Bradley Active Member

One of the biggest cultural issues I find is folks thinking a nonconformity is a "bad" thing. I've seen companies where getting a nonconformity on an audit will be counted against the process owner during the annual performance evaluation. No one should be penalized due to a nonconformity (unless, I suppose if it is the result of flagrant or intentional actions)! Nonconformities show where our system is not working (or not working as well as it should). They are part of continual improvement. On the flip side, that does not mean we should create nonconformities either.

9. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

I was reading my ASQ CQA Handbook this morning, and they describe the definition of a nonconformity to be a "negative" observation, as well as a "finding", which is not the way I thought findings were always described. They did indicate that lately 'findings' have been used to convey 'positive observations' but that it is not the norm. (page 110).
    It is also very true that management regards nonconformity's as something to be punished because 'someone is not doing their job', their job , of course, is to avoid getting caught with a noncom. After reading this yesterday I was reminded of an email I had in my file when I started here, the result of some noncoms from a supplier, berating the management team for 'slipping up' and threatening to fire everyone. I no longer have a copy here (I was checking), but it was quite instructive of the way these types of companies operate.
    Deming would be laughing in his grave.

10. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

I've recently redesigned our NC/CAPA report and have renamed it "8D Problem Solving Report". I think it's quite neutral and all-encompassing at the same time.

11. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm...I hear the word "problem" and I think negative. I also tend to prefer form names that roll off the tongue - I suppose folks will simply refer to it as the 8D or the PSR. Then again, it's really what the organizational culture (i.e., maturity) is willing to accept as the standard lingo. I'm waiting to see an organization that's brave enough to call it the "We Goofed...We Fixed It" report (aka the Goofy Report). :D

12. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

In our case I should just go and call it the FUBAR report...:eek:

Ben Johnson likes this.
  13. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

An 8D is very nice for serious and/or recurring issues but otherwise could represent a sledgehammer when a flyswatter would do. Please consider risk when deciding to what extent you want to take corrective action.

14. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Agree. That's why clause 10.2.1 specifies "Corrective actions shall be appropriate to the effects of the nonconformities encountered."
    Even 6.1.2 says "Actions taken to address risks and opportunities shall be proportionate to the potential impact on the conformity of products and services."