1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Turtle Diagram Example for Process Document Control

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Edward Rivera, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Edward Rivera

Edward Rivera New Member

I am new to this forum. Currently preparing for my stage 2 recertification audit to the new ISO 9001:2015 standard from 2008. I have created turtle diagrams for each process, in which the external auditor expressed his satisfaction with. however, he suggested I create one for document control....

I cannot find any examples online, and found the other turtles easiest to develop ...

does anyone have an example, ideas???

please help

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Why are you doing things to suit an auditor? Stop this approach NOW! If you have an ISO 9001:2008 certificate and have a documented procedure for document control (it was required) why are you making a (nasty) TURTLE? Your auditor has nothing better to do than make work for you...

Jim Gardner and pkfraser like this.
  3. Edward Rivera

Edward Rivera New Member

sooo, do you have a turtle diagram for document control ? :)

4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Edward

First off, why waste time in doing something which doesn´t add value.
    It only was a suggestion from the auditor, focus your efforts in the system in things that really
    help and improve the system.

Hope this helps

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

My presumption at this point is that no QFO member has one.

Perhaps there is a bit of a lag in someone reading your request...OR...perhaps we don't have one because no one is using turtle diagrams for document control or other processes. If I were you, I'd probably start to wonder why no one was using turtle diagrams, however, if your approach is adding actual value to organization (beyond simply being done to address a requirement in the standard), then keep at it.

6. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I personally do not use a Turtle diagram for Document Control. The standard does not specify turtle diagram for procedures. My advice to you is to write a procedure to describe who does what and when? A good procedure can be transcribed into a Turtle Diagram. A FOOTBALL diagram might be a better picture of your activities. Hope this helps a bit.

7. Andy Nichols

You already have a document control procedure, don't you? Why take something someone else has made, then edit it to suit? You'll make more work for yourself and all you did is give an auditor a warm fuzzy feeling and then they'll go other place and start the same stupidity all over again, and again and again.

Be like Susan Powter: "Stop the insanity"...

8. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

You're dating yourself. :)

9. Andy Nichols

Someone told me about her... :D

10. Qualitypro99

Qualitypro99 New Member

I almost drank the Kool-Aid and was going to start using Turtle diagrams. Until I read on another forum that they were a waste of time. Especially since it's not required. ANYWHERE. Stay with previous advice and just stick with a well written procedure. Just because an auditor suggests to use something or says you should, and especially if they say you MUST, ask to see the requirement. Don't do any extra work unless it's required or actually a value added activity. Turtle diagrams are not a value added activity. It's an exercise.