1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How does HR impact on QMS?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by steve gill, Jul 10, 2017.

1. steve gill

steve gill Member

Friends,
    I am writing a report for my NVQ5 and one point is "how can HR functions impact on QMS"?
    any examples out there?

2. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

HR people have several task to carry out in a QMS system
    Some of them:
    1 To ensure competence of people
    including interviews, tests,
    2 To ensure the to apply the training program.
    3 Some HR department run the people hiring process as well
    4 To define internal rules, internal policies, to resolve personnel conflicts,etc.
    6 Some other also run the payroll process.

Although not all the functions are required by ISO, I have seen they are
    defined so by de top management and included into the system.

Hope this helps

Siva Prasad likes this.
  3. steve gill

steve gill Member

many thanks

4. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Steve

Unfortunately, many HR departments do little more that hire, fire and advise on major disciplinary issues. Whether they "can" do more that that implies that they have i) the competence, ii) the inclination and iii) the direction to do so.

There are many elements in 9001 that have a relevance to people management and support, but I would not expect HR necessarily to be involved, even if they should be.

Is your question about what an HR department actually does, or what an organisation should do to manage and support its people?

John C. Abnet and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. steve gill

steve gill Member

6. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

HR does the minimum regarding intake processes for personnel in accordance with input from managers and supervisors.

They can also help define training and testing, but competence is usually determined at the point where the tasks are performed.

The original post referred to ISO 9001:2008, which has been replaced by the 2015 version which includes references to (7.1.4) workplace environment to include non-discriminatory environment; HR can help define and enforce policies for discrimination. (7.1.4 also refers to a "non-confrontational" work environment, which might be assisted by procuring or delivering available training such as Crucial Confrontations.

In short, HR does the people things as directed by top management. As always, results largely depend on the extent of top management support.

steve gill likes this.