1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Seeking Recommendations: CAPA/RCA Training?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by --Jessica--, Jun 13, 2017.

1. --Jessica--

--Jessica-- Member

Hello again Quality Forum,

I searched a bit and failed to find this in another thread.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an (affordable) CAPA/RCA Training course I can put department supervisors and upper management through for the purpose of improving the quality of our company's CAPAs?

I did hone in on ASQ, but at $900/person, this is cost prohibitive given that we are a small company with small budget.

I'm basically looking for something that will teach our supervisors and managers how to perform an RCA and an EFFECTIVE preventive action (I'm still getting responses like "Human Error" as root cause and "I will make sure he does it from now on" or "retrained the operator" as PAs, if you can believe it).
    Not looking to certify new quality managers or anything, just bump up the company knowledge base in order to improve the quality of CAPAs we do, and to build some enthusiasm for improvements on a managerial level. (And also be able to hold managers accountable because they've received formal training.)

I'd prefer instructor-led online classes so they can be interactive and hopefully work through examples. (I've thrown tons of videos and articles at them but i think the interactive element is what's missing from those.)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

normzone likes this.
  2. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

You know those "choose your own adventure" books?

Someone among us should write a root cause investigation version in that mode. Depending on the root cause(s) you settle for, it would lead you to corrective action(s), and the effectiveness of that/those would either lead you to a happy ending or back to the beginning of the story, where the problem repeats itself.

Ellie, --Jessica-- and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day Jessica;
    ASQ can and does obviously provide a considerable number of good and viable educational offerings. One of the OEM I worked directly with for many years also has their own version of Toyoda-san's "5Y" via a very comprehensive curriculum. The concern with any of these curriculum's however, is the ...
    - Trainer. Does the trainer have personal in depth experience with performing and providing true root cause analysis?
    - Method. Does the curriculum ONLY give the deep comprehensive academia regarding the subject or does it also provide a real understanding of daily application?

It appears you are very astute and apparently "get it" based on your apparent frustration with the improper "retrain"/"human error" responses you have been getting.

I would recommend a more personal approach, where you have the opportunity to discuss the curriculum directly with the actual trainer BEFORE committing to a training. It is not appropriate to plug myself or others on this forum, but you are amongst a great deal of knowledge within this forum group.

4. --Jessica--

--Jessica-- Member

Hahahha I love it! That would be awesome! !

5. --Jessica--

--Jessica-- Member

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes I am finding similar frustrations in my search. Google isn't good for everything, apparently. I will read a course description that sounds great but then watch a sample course and they just seem so out of touch with reality. I've had zero luck finding anything, which is why I've turned to you guys. I hate pestering you with my specific questions (I do read through back threads a lot and appreciate all the knowledge sharing!) but I got desperate here. haha

Apologies if it's not appropriate to ask for specific names/plugs... but really that's what I'm after in the end. Would it be more appropriate to ask for people to PM me recommendations?

6. John C. Abnet

7. --Jessica--

--Jessica-- Member

... i should mention we are in San Diego county... in case anyone knows of a training resource that is local for us. :)

8. --Jessica--

--Jessica-- Member

Also... Thank you John! I did send you an e-mail last week. :)

9. John C. Abnet

Got it Jessica...thanks. Apology for the late reply. I sent you a return e-mail today. Hope that helps.