1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Who Owns Your "Competence Awareness and Training" Process?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by John Michael Kane, Mar 13, 2019.

1. John Michael Kane

John Michael Kane Member

ISO-9001 requires that companies address CA&T, but I'm wondering what group within your organizations past or present actually owns that process? Is it your HR team? Operations? Or do you have a separate Training group who owns it?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It's going to depend on the particular structure/size/complexity of the organization, of course. However, since it can be a shared responsibility between the hiring person and the training person, it's often the training person's job to own the process.

3. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

I have multiple people help (own) our competence program, our HR director is responsible for on-boarding, initial filtering of potential candidates, she retains applications and our "SMART" goal program. The production Manager and Production Supervisor are responsible for training and updating the training matrix and planning training. there is more to it, but i dont believe you have to have one person handle it.

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I have a new team member starting on Monday. While I am responsible for ensuring that becomes competent, aware, and trained, I am NOT responsible for the process. I am responsible for following it. The process is owned by our HR group - or a sub-team with it since they have a couple of "buckets" in their domain within my current organization.

Going back to my driving analogy, in this case most Ministry/Department of Transportation groups are responsible for determine the speed limit postings, but drivers are responsible for following it. If a driver speeds, the driver is at fault. If the driver can prove that there was no signage (i.e., awareness), then the governmental agency may be at fault.

5. Andy Nichols

Possibly, but it'll depend a lot on "team" at the top. Ask yourself, if it doesn't work well, who would you go to for a fix?

6. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

We have a relatively small company in terms of personnel, i think each person manages their own aspect of the process. But ultimately if there was need of a process change it would be discussed with management.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. Andy Nichols

OK, that makes shared responsibility a lot easier.