1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Which business processes are not QMS processes?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Leonid, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I believe this is true, when considering paragraph 3 in 0.3.1 of ISO 9001:2015.

2. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

Thus, QMS requirements shall be incorporated in other management systems of organization. One can expect that these systems have already implemented most of generic MS requirements (re compliance obligations, planning, competence, responsibility, communication, documentation, operations, monitoring, checking, nonconformity, review). If so, what other particular QMS requirements are to be integrated?

3. Tony Wardle

Tony Wardle Member

Maybe I am wrong, but I understand this as looking at the business process - for example HR - and asking how the QMS and HR interface.
    The HR system may well be a stand alone system, but ... in respect of 7.1.2 the people need to be effective. How is this captured in the HR system, so as to meet the requirements of the QMS.

While finance my work on say GAAP, and there may well be a financial software system in place, finances as resource to provide the material resources required in the QMS - would mean some sort if integration would or should occur - for example - a CAPEX plan, and the ability to effect that plan. Of course, accounts would have their own financial audits to verify the quality of the role they play, outside of the scope of the QMS.

Having said that - 5.1.1c is subject to the note at the bottom of the paragraph that quantifies "business" as ''those activities that are core to the purposes of the organizations existence'' - its raison d'etre.

I also feel that its important that the QMS touch each part of the business because quality is not limited to a product or process - it should be inherent in everything we do, say or produce.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  4. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

When Dr. Juran estimated that cost of poor quality at between 15% and 20% of sales, he included the hidden costs like employee turnover, billing and pricing errors, late paperwork, unused capacity, excess inventory and so on.

And so, even so long following his death I believe the consideration of support processes worthy and will always use 0.3.1 of ISO 9001:2015 to support that. Let us consider Sony's experience with being hacked - IT networking and security has sometimes not been recognized as a core business process, but the network is the organization's nervous system. The costs were wide-ranging and prolonged.

Therefore: while the standard does state a focus on product/service conformity to requirements and customer satisfaction, the organization's viability and arguably its capability to provide that conformity relies on a system and that system's processes should be recognized in the QMS.

Just my 2 cents...

RoxaneB, Tony Wardle and Somashekar like this.