1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

What do you think about remote audit during the COVID pandemic?

Discussion in 'ISO 19011 - Auditing Management Systems Guidelines' started by ValeriaGar, Oct 6, 2021.

1. ValeriaGar

ValeriaGar Member

How demanding are auditors during remote audits? How do you prepare for this type of audit? Do you send the material to the auditor or do you just show it on the screen (screen-sharing)? How good is this type of auditing for the company and do you think remote auditing will continue after the pandemic?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Experience so far shows that the process is all over the map. I've experienced auditors who demanded from the client that the audit NOT be virtual, because they (the auditor) couldn't deal with the "challenges". I've seen CBs charging extra (!) because of increased planning? Seriously!

To be honest, the whole notion of virtual audits being some kind of new and exciting thing is bogus, in my experience. A significant number of CB auditors never left a conference room which means zero practical change to the effectiveness of audits. CB auditors rarely want to see anything ahead of the actual audit - don't forget that, unless the CB wants to increase the duration of the audit (and therefore the cost) for off-site reviews, auditors won't get paid for reviewing anything.

It seems to me that every CB has a version of how it's done and then it's down to the individual auditor. To expect a clearly recognizable process driven by CBs is not going to happen.

Here's some guidance: https://www.the-center.org/Blog/May-2020/10-Tips-to-Prepare-for-Your-Virtual-ISO-Audit

3. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I haven't been through a virtual audit (yet) and am definitely NOT looking forward to it.

As an auditor, I do not feel that I would be as capable of doing an effective job with the constraints of virtual auditing. Being able to quickly (and easily) follow up on audit trails that are uncovered is a very important part of the audit process, and the virtual method makes it (in my opinion) much more difficult.

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @ValeriaGar ;
    I have performed remote audits during the pandemic ad have clients who have experienced remote auditing.

1-
    How demanding are auditors during remote audits?

A- Broad question. Regardless of industry best efforts, 3rd party auditors are human/individuals and, therefore, personalities often impact "how demanding". The goal/intent of a remote audit is to conduct in the "same" manner with the "same" requirements.

2-
    How do you prepare for this type of audit?

Hopefully your organization is speaking specific to remote auditing and the technology required, and does not need to "prepare" the organization for an audit. (Here is my point...
    https://lnkd.in/ecnHudm\
    A- Regardless, I have attached a couple of documents from the IAF, which speak to the necessary technical preparations specific to remote auditing. Essentially, these documents are simply instructing that internet, voice/camera, etc...are all working and can be heard/used while the organization is conducting daily operations. I suggest a lap top with tested/working camera, on a cart...that can be pushed around like a manual "robot" so the auditor can see and direct. I recommend PHONE audio and not COMPUTER audio. Via most smart phones, up to 5 people can be patched in. This way headsets can be plugged into the phones so the individuals involved can easily talk/listen during an organization's daily operations. There is no one/right way, ...these are just suggestions.

3-
    Do you send the material to the auditor or do you just show it on the screen (screen-sharing)?

A- Check with your registrar. On the remote auditing I conduct, I simply have the auditee show me (screen share or camera), the documentation in question. I then have them e-mail me some or in some cases I would simply screen grab (with their awareness/approval).

4-
    How good is this type of auditing for the company and do you think remote auditing will continue after the pandemic?

A-1 My professional opinion from my experiences, is that it is not as "good" as on-site. There are a lot of inflections, relationships, periphery activity, etc.., that simply can not be as easily gleaned via remote.
    A-2 No. In fact, most certification body (actually from the AB), rules and pandemic specific rulings...no longer allow remote audits except in extraordinary circumstances

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Be well.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

RoxaneB likes this.
  5. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I have done it to various standards. There is very little out there to train people to do a good job with virtual audits. It is hard enough to do a good job in-person; conducting half-blind adds another dimension altogether.

A remote audit is made more difficult by the limited ability to just observe as we walk through a space. Auditors collect inputs based on questions we ask people, review of documents and observation. When doing virtual Environmental, Health & Safety and Security audits in chemical plants I need my guide to broadcast a view on his/her device while walking through the space. I can say "Let's look at that trash can by the door/fork lift next to the tank" and have him walk over there with my real-time direction (which door?) and I can see some things in the camera view while we go along, but focus is a problem and no peripheral vision is available. So observation is severely constrained.

Also constrained is the ability to have impromptu follow up checks of things like big binders of test methods in QC Labs, where the walk through resulted in a chance observation of hand written lineouts and changes on an antique printed document. We need to ask for a review of documents and this review can more easily be staged or limited.

Additional observational constraints for Quality audits include how nonconforming material is being managed at machines, environment in the space, and so on. Interviewees are placed "on the spot" with what amounts to a microphone thrust into their faces. It is easier to put people at ease with in-person interactions than via a tinny voice in a little tablet.

Navigating all of this, plus issues with people's dying phone batteries (this type of live streaming is a huge power drain) tends to add time and challenges to the audits.

Traveling is still grueling, but in-person audits are still better although it seems appealing to audit from one's desk. It is still very draining to audit from the desk though. We are still on a schedule and we still need to collect the expected inputs plus conduct meaningful follow up. It takes a lot of getting used to.

I am seeing more clients ask for virtual audits because it reduces audit expenses when we stay at home. I have managed to provide meaningful feedback through exploration of issues I happened upon (isn't that supposed to be the point?) but I think I have likely missed some simply by not being able to see them in person.

I hope this helps.

RoxaneB likes this.