1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Warning About Deltronic Gage Pins

Discussion in 'Gage Calibration and Uncertainty' started by Gregory Fish, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Gregory Fish

Gregory Fish New Member

Please be aware that when you purchase Deltronic Gage Pins, the "Certification of Accuracy" document that accompanies them is not valid for calibration and new gage pins must be calibrated before use in order to meet ISO 9001 and/or ISO 13845 requirements.

Per the applicable standard - the requirement is for traceability to national or internal standards, in the US this of course is NIST. To establish this traceability, I (our 3rd party Orion Auditor) looks for an unbroken chain of calibration, validated through, at a minimum, the identification of the standards used, and their calibration information provided on a calibration certificate.

As this information is not included on Deltronic's certificate of accuracy, traceability to NIST is not evident.

As a result of this - both of the facilities that I work at received minor non-conformances requiring corrective action which seems to only include - send these out for calibration by someone who provides you with traceability to NIST. Deltronic's response to this issue that I brought to their attention was that a "long form certificate" is available for a premium charge.

Problem that I have is - how would anyone know that they need a long form cert to begin with? Seems that Deltronic's is playing on the ignorance of Quality professionals.

I just wanted people to be aware of this issue in order to prevent potential ISO 3rd party findings at their companies.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Greg: Let me help you out. One auditor stirring up an issue, doesn't mean it's an issue. Does the auditor understand WHY traceability to a N.I.S.T standard is important (in an ISO 9001 audit, I doubt it). Is the "k" value, specified on a calibration certificate important to you? Do you know the significance of the k being 2 or 3? Does "measurement uncertainty" from the calibration of Deltronic pins affect the measurements your people are making? Do you know how the calibration results affect your "Type A" uncertainties? Does it matter?

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If the pin gauge is still within the validity of the "certification of accuracy", why do you need to initiate calibration? If the pin gauge is newly purchased from Deltronic without the evidence of traceability to NIST, demand from them. Deltronic claims this.