1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Supplier Surveys - Waste or warranted

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by Claes Gefvenberg, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

In the Aviation, Space & Defense sector, the authors of AS9100 wrote a (poorly written) note under section 7.4.1 which attempts to communicate that a QMS certificate (or another approval such as Nadcap accreditation) should be considered solely as a COMPONENT of the supplier oversight process.

As for the "requirement" for an organization to physically audit a supplier, RBT would lead us to think that, if I am developing a new supplier for a CRITICAL CUSTOM COMPONENT, I should really assess for myself if that supplier has the means to fulfill my order. Failure to do so means, I am taking huge risks.

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.
  2. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

I tried something different the other day - I was asked to scout a sheet metal shop as a potential supplier. I know of them and they have a 9001:2008 cert.

I asked them if they would provide me with copies of their most recent CAR from an internal audit finding, a recent customer SCAR, and their on time delivery data for the last twelve months. They could redact anything they wanted to from all this.

I figure if they say no, I now know their aptitude for cooperation. If they say yes, and if from the documentation it appears they're just going through the motions, I learn something. And if they give me it all, and it looks good, I know they're likely not just going through the motions.

They gave it all to me promptly and it looked good. We'll ask them to quote some stuff and see what happens.

James and Claes Gefvenberg like this.
  3. Claes Gefvenberg

Claes Gefvenberg Moderator Staff Member

That sounds so much more useful than dishing a survey out. Mind you, some suppliers may not want to send a SCAR due to confidentiality issues, but there is always the option to send a Bowdlerised version.