1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Sterilisation of Medical Devices

Discussion in 'ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 – Medical Devices QMS' started by Stephen1985, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Stephen1985

Stephen1985 New Member

Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere that if I Sterilize a non-sterile Medical Device it makes me the legal manufacturer of that Device but I can not find it now.

The only thing I have found is MDR 2017/745 Article 2 -
    (30) ‘manufacturer’ means a natural or legal person who manufactures or fully refurbishes a device or has a device designed, manufactured or fully refurbished, and markets that device under its name or trademark;

(31) ‘fully refurbishing’, for the purposes of the definition of manufacturer, means the complete rebuilding of a device already placed on the market or put into service, or the making of a new device from used devices, to bring it into conformity with this Regulation, combined with the assignment of a new lifetime to the refurbished device;

This does not specifically mention Sterilization of Devices. Am I misinterpreting or missing something?

For clarity, this question is being raised by myself. I had a quote for a Swiss AR declined because legal ownership of devices in a Procedure Pack has not been determined by Swissmedic.

2. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Are you marketing the device under your (company) name? Are you responsible for managing complaints, recalls, etc.? I think those questions are more relevant than whether you sterilize. Many companies outsource sterilization of their device and that doesn't make the (contract) sterilizer the legal manufacturer.

Andy Nichols likes this.