1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Statistical Sampling Method for Field Failures

Discussion in 'Sampling, Standards and Inspection' started by MS Kumar, Dec 26, 2015.

1. MS Kumar

MS Kumar New Member

Hi Everyone,

I working in an Automobile OEM, Would like to know what kind of Statistical Sampling method to be done for Field failure samples for Ex: my current failure rate of particular component is 5% with multiple failure modes, and we receive those failed samples to our center, how may failed sample should we have to investigate in order to cover all failure modes with 95% confidence level?

Pls pour in your suggestions / ideas

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

This is a good question, but before we can answer with useful advice we need to understnad a bit more abut your situation.

Can you define what you mean by failure mode? Do the parts come back with any info from the dealer or vehicle repair center regarding the Customer complaint that led to removing the part?

Why do feel that you need to sample the returns? I assume you are trying to create a pareto of faiures so that you can work on the highest ocurring failures? what actions will this plan support?

Vthouta likes this.