1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Stage 1 & 2 Advice

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Charles Stanley-Grey, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Charles Stanley-Grey

Charles Stanley-Grey Member

Afternoon everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am currently leading an installation of IATF for the first time and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with LRQA specifically but I would take any advice at all really on the Stage 1 & 2?

Question 1: Stage 1 is just a document review and we either have it or not, that is fine I have done plenty for other standards. The stage 2 however worries the entire team. I have heard varying reports of you have to have 12 months data to show on everything, to just 1 months data. Does anyone have some first hand or recent experience on this? Is the auditor literally going to look for APQP/PPAP and every TPM sheet for up to a year in the past looking for any gaps?

Question 2: In general how thorough and relentless have auditors been? We work with several 'IATF certified' businesses and I can hardly believe they are. ISO 9001 audits are a breeze I have not had more than 1 or two minor findings in my entire career.

Question 3: How do you all handle training and competence for office employees? We have sales and finance staff who obviously wont exactly have training certificates for what they do, I feel if we just have a training record that says "trained" I do not see how an auditor can argue with it?

Thanks for any tips in advance!

2. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I probably won't be able to answer all of your questions, because I haven't been involved in Stages 1 & 2 because by the time I arrived their certification had already been established and in place for several years. IATF has proven to be more focused on risk analysis and documenting such activities. When we first transitioned from TS to IATF the auditors seem to be more difficult, but it seems like it's always a crap shoot. You just never know what they will zero in on and be their 'sticking points', so to speak. Regardless, they should always refer back to the standard when siting any potential non-conformances. When it comes to providing training documentation for indirect employees (i.e. office staff), we just document in our Competence procedure that all indirect employees are considered qualified based on formal training/OJT at previous employer or within our company. Any additional training beyond that is documented within our training app.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! In the dim and distant past, I worked for LRQA. Do I qualify?

Do you have (or have access to) the IATF "Rules"? This will help enormously.
    Stage 1 is a "readiness review", more than a document review. You must have 12 months data on the Core (product related) processes, not "everything".

The performance criteria for an IATF auditor is much higher than "vanilla" ISO 9001 - the oversight by the IAOB is more diligent. They know that suppliers have been in trouble with product quality and delivery, yet auditors find nothing, so they are "squeezing" the CBs to make their auditors "perform". Sadly, this frequently results in findings of dubious value/accuracy. (my observations)
    The main thrust of competency (not "training", per se) is for those who are "touching product". So, Sales, Engineering, Manufacturing etc. Finance? If a CB auditor goes there, unless you wrote Finance into your QMS, they have no reason to audit them. BTW a training certificate isn't a demonstration of competency, except in a few, unique, situations. You may wish to evaluate your approach.

4. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Hello Charles,

In addition to the excellent advice you've received, I would like to add:

If you have selected a registrar already, ask them what is the process for the Stage 1 and 2. They should tell you just what to expect; if they don't, I would consider different registrar(s).

As Andy said, expect being asked for records up to a year old, but if you have done 40 PPAPs of course they will only select a sample to review in depth.

The office personnel I would consider most likely to be interviewed for audits are Sales & Customer Service, Procurement, Engineering, Quality Assurance, HR and Planning. Standards are asking for evidence that competence has been determined. You can expect to be asked how that determination is made. Certificates are records but don't by themselves describe the process.

I hope this helps.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  5. qmr1976

You can always refer to job descriptions in comparison to the resume they submitted for evidence of competency for your office/indirect personnel. Obviously, HR had to do their due diligence to confirm resume was legit by reaching out to each previous employer.

6. Andy Nichols

I'm not sure it would work like that, but I also understand that CB auditors may have accepted it in the past.

Imagine someone applies for a job as a band member, they have "guitar player" on their resume and the job description states "Must own and be able to play 6 string acoustic and electric guitar, 12 string or bass preferable). A candidate turns up for an interview. Great personality, good looks, bring photos of gear (Epiphone SG electric, Fender 6 string acoustic, even an Epiphone EDS 1275 twin neck in white). Discusses influences on their playing: Jimmy Page, Hank Marvin (Shadows), Steve Hackett etc and the interview goes well. They get the job. First gig: Out comes the SG and plugs in, tunes up, plays a couple of major triads - but can't actually play more than a few strummed chords...

7. qmr1976

True....that's why I say HR should definitely make an effort to reach out to previous employers to verify their competency. (What they list on their resume is true) In most cases, employers will be forthcoming for the most part regarding their qualifications vs. a general reference (friend, family member) :)

8. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Actually, that is no longer true with many companies. The fear of litigation over a bad reference has led many companies to limit themselves strictly to confirming a past employee was indeed employed between "start date" and "end date." HR policies often state that current employees are not allowed to provide a reference for a past employee. While I am sure that there are still companies out there that will provide more information, my last three employers all had this same policy.

John C. Abnet and Andy Nichols like this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Of course, in different countries, cultures etc. this can happen. My experience in the USA is much as Miner is suggesting. Ain't gonna go well. Indeed, if we apply the maxim, "You don't leave a bad job, you leave a bad boss" - which is true in my case - added to which my current job vs my last assignment were not even close - it would have gone badly...(for someone)

10. qmr1976

Well, then I guess it comes down to asking the right questions during an interview to see if they are as good as they claim to be. LOL

11. Andy Nichols

I recall a couple of job applications I've made where I took some actual stuff I'd created along to the (2nd) interview. That created the "Wow" I was looking for to seal the employment offer...

qmr1976 likes this.
  12. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

This should be approached with caution unless the material is not made at work. In a signed agreement my employer claims the rights to anything I create while on the job.

13. Andy Nichols

There's a big difference between "show and tell" and copying and pasting. One example was the tools I'd made as an apprentice, the other was from a company which no longer existed.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.