1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Sick of Being Disrespected by Coworker - Meeting Monday - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by Nikki, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Claes Gefvenberg

Claes Gefvenberg Moderator Staff Member

I absolutely agree.
    Once more, fully agreed. It should not, but it never hurts to be prepared.

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

There is no question that people deserve basic respect in the workplace. But there is a reason Scott Adams (author of the Dilbert series) is so successful. This sort of thing happens a lot. The real question is what to do with those who won't behave productively. In its Notes to 7.1.4, the standard edges closer than before but still leaves it up to management where this kind of issue belongs.

I consulted a handful of sources to arrive at my suggestion, including Crucial Confrontations and Jerks At Work (1999). In Jerks At Work, Dr. Lloyd suggests people who berate others are themselves feeling insecure and, in that book proposes - as do the authors of Crucial Confrontations - methods for "safely" engaging with the coworker.

I am concerned we may be beyond that now, as other coworkers have apparently made their own decisions in how to deal with it by ignoring it, hoping he'll stop or just taking the high road. I have learned that doesn't work. My daughter was sexually harassed while in school by a classmate at age 13. She didn't tell me until she was at the breaking point because she believed I would advise her to ignore him, he will lose interest etc. When I heard this I did some soul searching and, by that time in my student teaching in a vocational high school, realized that there's a point where people don't just lose interest. That 2nd grade advice no longer works but people in the work place apply it all the time. I have observed it many times since and recognized the patterns in adults while spending time in our own social circle, the work place.

Now tensions are now high with Nikki, and she has stepped up. She has arranged to have a meeting with the owner and needs an approach he'll be likely to be amenable to. The question is approach. She should absolutely stick to the facts, and leave emotion out of it - unless asked, and try to put forward a constructive message because my guess is (I've never met him so it's just a guess) the boss is more interested in his company's health and image with customers than he is with bad behavior. If he can't immediately project why it matters, I think Nikki should be ready to help with that.

3. Claes Gefvenberg

My point, exactly.

4. Ronen E

Ronen E Well-Known Member

I agree only to a very limited extent. Explain, clarify - yes. Convince, promote, market, younameit - no. This case is self-explanatory (assuming that we've been exposed to all the important facts; naturally the boss should also hear the other side). If the top dog needs explanation why harassment matters, and/or doesn't think he's responsible for the basic well being of each and every employee, the place is likely FUBAR.

I've seen people walked all over in the work place, and stay. Yes, some are desperate and some just have the taste for it, but it shouldn't be this way. We only have one life and we deserve to feel safe, welcome and able to contribute in the place where we spend the majority of our waking hours. Sometimes I'm shocked that many have come to believe that by coming to work we've agreed to a contract where for some payment we sell EVERYTHING, including our very self and our right for basic well being. No, it should be a mutual agreement between two interested parties. If a boss doesn't appreciate the contribution of a good worker and is not willing to keep his/her part of the deal, they don't deserve the time and efforts of that individual.

5. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

It looks like I'm a little late to the party. :)

I just wanted to add that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE, needs to feel belittled and be treated in such a way that this coworker is treating you. Don't ever feel it's appropriate.

The first thing I would do is start with the individual sending these. Print these out, and show them how their written e-mails are coming across. Also, I would explain how the responses are making you feel. I'm not sure if including emails in complaint handling is the best way; but regardless, show this person how their e-mails appear in the complaint package.

If at this point the person is not responding or willing to change, then yes, you need to carry it to your boss.

Keep it objective. Show the e-mails and the language in them. Demonstrate how it is making Complaint handling more difficult. In my opinion.... that needs to stop. Legitimate complaint handling may involve larger, more systemic issues that involve the organization; and require better processing that you having to 'walk on eggshells' because of whose customer it is.

6. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

So after another very disrespectful email I called a meeting with my boss. He assured me that he would handle this situation and agreed that this other employees comments were disrespectful and that he had NO right whatsoever to say the things he did.

This employee likes to feel that they have some sort of authority over me. My boss made is clear that this person is not my boss, and I need to basically stop taking orders from him as well.

Any suggestions or ideas on a tackful and professional way to turn down this other employees attempt to boss me around?

Since my meeting with my boss this employee is still trying to rope me into doing things.

What can I reply to him to make it clear that I wont be taking orders from him, but in a polite and professional way?

Thanks in Advance.

7. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I would refer them to your boss. Tell them that if your boss approves it okay, otherwise not.

8. MarkMeer

MarkMeer Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate here... :eek:

Many posts here advise to "stick with the facts", and "leave emotion out of it", and I completely agree.

So what are the facts presented thus far?
    From the OP: The guy is "egotistical and treats others like they don't do their job correctly", the OP has "been put down and degraded via email", in particular "he replies with snotty remarks, which would indicate that I am stupid or that I should know the answer". He appears to be bad at his job, and the OP notes that they are "NOT the only person he treats this way". Also: "My boss made is clear that this person is not my boss, and I need to basically stop taking orders from him as well."

Is this harassment, or just a difficult co-worker? Is this something that needs to be escalated to HR or upper-management, or is it something that can be dealt with through inter-personal communication, and personal fortitude? When we are saying "NO ONE needs to feel belittled", I agree. ...but when we are talking about feelings, who bears the greatest responsibility?

My advise is to confront the guy. Why do you need to be polite? Tell him he's being an a-hole, and that neither you, nor the other people he's "snotty" to aren't going to deal with him unless he can be respectful. If someone's not giving you respect, don't contort yourself trying to engage them politely.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize, and for all I know the situation is much worse than presented...
    But like I say, just playing devil's advocate, "stick[ing] with the facts" and "leav[ing] emotion out of it"... ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    BradM likes this.
  9. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

He is a story from my HS days. A friend of mine kept stats during the football games. One player came up to him, looked at his chart and said "you missed my tackle on this play, and one on this play" etc. After each comment, my friend dutifully put a check mark crediting the tackle to the player. When the kid turned and left, he flipped his pencil and erased all the check marks.

So I guess if you want to be "polite" say sure and then walk away and ignore him.

10. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

Lol, I don't know if lying is the best policy!

I think polite would be: Sure, I would love to help you! But I/you/we need to check with my boss to see where it fits on my priorities. I've been pretty busy lately and I don't want to drop any important balls!

Claes Gefvenberg and Nikki like this.
  11. Deb Gorecki

Deb Gorecki New Member

Miner is right, whatever he tells you to do, politely refer him to your boss. A simple "I'm in the middle of my own project right now, but if you need help ask (bosses name here)". I doubt he will :)

Claes Gefvenberg and Nikki like this.
  12. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

I love that!!! Thank you :)

13. Jennifer Kirley

I've gotten into a good deal of trouble for being too honest. :rolleyes:

Nikki likes this.
  14. Claes Gefvenberg

Yes! That is exactly the way it should be handled. It is also a good way to quietly point out that your boss may not be happy about being bypassed... without actually spelling it out.:cool:

Candi1024 and Nikki like this.
  15. QA Bee

QA Bee Member

Nikki,
    You have great advices here.

My 2 cents, I can totally relate to you since you work at a small company and you do report to the owner of the company just like I do. I am pretty sure if I had similar problem, for sure the owner would still think of customer satisfaction and getting that check from them so we can all get paid:( He or other manager can see you as road blocker in this situation then.

But if you are confident that your process is built correctly then stick to your grounds and lay out this other manager's behavior in such a way that you are showing that it's not personally affecting you but its affecting the business.
    The minute you bring in your OWN feelings to this conversation, it might be taken wrong way. Specially if that person is a manager and if he/she has been there for longer time than you are. Instead, just bring in from the "Not following Quality System Processes"s perspective. Tell your boss that if ppl like him (the manager) choses to go out of compliance such a way most of the time then it will be hard to get ISO 13485 for the company.

16. QA Bee

QA Bee Member

oops sorry, seems like my response was too late!

17. Claes Gefvenberg

It's never too late for a response in a forum. Others will benefit from this discussion, perhaps years from now.

Jennifer Kirley and Nikki like this.
  18. Jennifer Kirley

I have gotten in a lot of trouble for sticking to the facts. Too often we must apply a candy coating in order to not be considered too tough, etc. Not doing this well has impacted my advancement.

drgnrider likes this.
  19. Ronen E

Ronen E Well-Known Member

At least you kept your integrity. Who wants to advance in such an environment anyway?... Would you want to be a senior part of such a mechanism?

20. Jennifer Kirley

I actually have begun to think I really don't fit into the machine all that well once I got a peek on the inside. I think I should ramp up my offerings and learn to sell my services locally - events may be indicating it is time to do that.

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.