1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Sample Applicable clauses - department wise

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Padym, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Padym

Padym Active Member

Hi Team,
    I wanted to check a sample applicable for typical functions in an organization.
    Marketing,Sales,Production (service Provision,) , ITOperations, support team, software team, hr

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. You want to know which clauses of ISO 9001 are applicable to these departments? Is that it?

3. Padym

Padym Active Member

Yes Andy. Typical example ISO9001 clauses applicable to various functions. Or can you refer to any guidance doc, books which illustrates how to do it. ?

4. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I am auditing the Sales and Marketing soon against their standard operating procedure which has a title "Managing the Contract". Going through that document will determine if the process is effective in supporting the vision and mission of the Company. I will worry about the clause later on when I write the report. I create the clause-process matrix at the end just to "ice the cake" for an external auditor to see and not get me in trouble.

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

What I typically do is create a matrix that shows all the clauses (and sub-clauses) along one side and all the processes (or departments) along the other. Then the level of "ISO-impact" is assessed for each department/process to each clause/sub-clause. Typically, we have three options - N (none/not applicable), D-Direct, S-Support

I'll use MCW8888's as an example. I'm not quite sure I understand why the clause-process matrix is created at the end. In my opinion, this is a tool that is vital to planning an audit - yes, I need to know the applicable documentation, but to keep my audits value-added and to keep teams from becoming inundated by audit after audit, I'd rather one audit addressed everything that the company needs and that the standard requires.

I consider Sales a process. "Managing the Contract" is an activity that they do. If the clause-process matrix is developed in the beginning, I can determine which requirements are applicable to the process. For example, I'd expect I'd be looking at items such as customer requirements, communication, process control, nonconformances, corrective action, document control, record control, etc.

After this audit, we would be able to report how well the process of Sales conforms to our requirements and those of the standard.

Too often I see organizations say something like "Well, our Quality Assurance Department is responsible for document control. They are they administrators of the document control software." Valid point...QA may be the process owner of document control, but when I do an internal audit, I want to see how well document control is applied throughout the organization. Document control (and other aspects of ISO 9001) are not processes meant to be silo'd within one department. It's a Quality Management SYSTEM...this means aspects should be cascaded throughout the organization.

Padym, if you're asking for an example of the matrix, or a completed version, unfortunately, I cannot share such a document. It is an internal document and, to be honest, developing it for yourself (and your organization) means having the discussion with the process owners, enhancing understanding and developing a culture of QMS. However, I hope the suggestion of developing a clause-process matrix helps to point you in the right direction.

6. Padym

Padym Active Member

Hi Roxane, Thanks for your suggestion, it will definitely help me to start with. I didn't mean to share the actually worked company matrix but rather any available in the public domain you are aware of getting an glimpse. Appreciate if you suggest books written on this subject.

7. RoxaneB

Why look for a book on a matrix? A picture is worth a thousand words...or so the adage goes. I entered 'process-clause matrix' and looked at the images available. You can do the same on this link.

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The book wouldn't be very big! Creating a matrix of ISO 9001 requirements against a specific process is simple. Further, YOUR process may be different to others. Sometimes, when implementing a QMS, you simply have to do some work which no-one else has done or can do for you. Putting a QMS together takes work, and unless you want to avoid a "Frankenstein", it's best to do the work yourself.

9. RoxaneB

I don't think Padym is looking for someone to do all the work for him. My guess is that he hopes such a book would walk him (and his organization) through the steps of creating such a matrix. However, as you and I both said, a book probably would not be needed for the process of creating the clause-process matrix.

So, @Padym , here's a possible "book"...

Step 1 | List all the clauses and sub-clauses along one axis.
    Step 2 | List all the processes (although, I have also seen procedures) along the other axis. NOTE - if you use procedures or work instructions this is going to be a very long and cumbersome and high maintenance matrix.
    Step 3 | Identify the relationships between the clauses, sub-clauses and processes/procedures. This could done via Direct/Support/None or Owner/User/None, as examples. It can be done in isolation, initially, if you work best that way, but it is strongly encouraged that the matrix is finalized with the input from the process owners and/or leadership.
    Step 4 | Use the matrix for activities such as audit planning, identifying training needs, supporting RBT (i.e., assessing impacts of changes to the QMS and/or organization), etc.