1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Revising a drawing to eliminate a nonconformance

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by RPNYVB, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

IMO, that's just too simple. Nothing is that black and white. I have customer drawings that have physical impossibilities on them, but the parts work fine. So are we making "defective" parts?

2. RPNYVB

RPNYVB Member

If the drawings are in error, a formal request to deviate from the drawing should be submitted to the customer. My world is black and white.

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn’t you just have them fix the drawing?

4. RPNYVB

RPNYVB Member

You could do that too. I figured a request to deviate would be quicker, and hopefully if the request identified a drawing error, a design change would follow.

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

When organizations "own" the design specifications, it's not that simple. Small manufacturers are used to seeing "red line" print mark-ups - an expedient manner of dealing with issues which would otherwise halt production, until the whole process of the design change approval and implementation has been worked through. Unless you are in the Design Engineering function, it's all too easy to believe that a single stroke of the (red) pen takes care of everything...