1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Record retention - First offs

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by russell nugent, Oct 13, 2022.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Was looking through various customer quality documents to try and state a length of time to retain first offs internally . Is there a recommended time to retain these .

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

First offs? From each run of parts? I don't believe there is such a recommendation. Sample parts, under PPAP etc would be the life of the part plus a year, typically (although I believe GM now require 50 years for certain things, because of a certain ignition switch issue the Feds got involved in...):rolleyes:

3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean the physical parts? Or the records of inspections, etc.? If the physical parts, I have seen three practices:
    1. Do not retain
    2. Retain until the end of the run and compare with the last piece
    3. Retain until the start of the next run and compare with the 1st piece
    I would adopt the approach that makes the most sense for your particular process. Does retention provide a particular benefit to your control of the process?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

This is the most common practice in automotive, that I've seen. I'm not sure it's a recommendation, because of the facile nature of 1st offs and so on...

5. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Thanks guys , they are physical parts along with measurement results. These are measured at the start of every month or after a tool change .

6. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

My past practice has been to retain parts until the end of run (do a FO/LO comparison) or at most until the next FO. Records are retained for the life of the program + 1 year (minimum), longer if there is a CSR for it.

Andy Nichols and Miner like this.