1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Receiving Inspection requirements - need help pls

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by YASEER BIN ROSDI, Nov 29, 2021.

1. YASEER BIN ROSDI

YASEER BIN ROSDI Member

Hi all, sorry to interrupt but i really don't know how to ask question on this site. Can you please help me regarding on this questions?

My company is specialize in die-cut component. Basically, we provide service of cutting material into customer desired design.

I have a problem with my incoming procedure. ISO compliance-wise, for incoming procedure, is it compulsory for incoming to check the thickness of adhesive tape like 3M and Nitto ??

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The basic answer is "no". Have you been told by someone that ISO 9001:2015 requires you to inspect incoming products?

tony s likes this.
  3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Yaseer!

Andy is correct. The word "inspect" is not included in ISO 9001:2015. Your organization is required (8.4.1) to determine the controls for externally provided processes, products and services in order to
    But many organizations set up their suppliers in such a way that they can move received goods directly in. They may call it "Ship to Stock" or something similar. How you do this is up to you: 8.4.1 also says
    I hope this helps.

tony s likes this.
  4. YASEER BIN ROSDI

YASEER BIN ROSDI Member

Thanks Andy and Jennifer,

I really appreciate and thankful for your help in this matter.

Andy, for your question "Have you been told by someone that ISO 9001:2015 requires you to inspect incoming products?", the answer is yes. I have been assigned by my superior to update the incoming procedure to become more lean and now I'm stuck with the traditional practice of our working process.

In our old Quality Plan, it stated the material we use, which is 3M tape with its thickness tolerance. Hence, our PIC for Quality Plan said that our QC Inspector need to inspect the thickness of the tape, which in reality, is not lean plus a burden for our QC Inspector job.

As far as I understand, the thickness tolerance for adhesive tape is not critical in our process yet they include it for incoming inspection just to conform the material thickness is in specs.

My last questions are;

Is it necessary to include the thickness tolerance for adhesive tapes in Quality Plan ?
    If yes, can I neglect the thickness tolerance inspection from our incoming checklist for adhesive tapes and just rely on the certificate of conformance from supplier ?

5. Andy Nichols

It's not uncommon for people to believe that compliance to ISO 9001 requires such things. Also, there's a lot of hearsay - often based on previous versions of ISO 9001. As far as I can recall, from being responsible for similar incoming inspection, 3M tape is a) proprietary - you are buying their "design" and b) highly unlikely to be out of spec. They control their processes pretty well (I bet you never had a problem in the past).

Honestly, all you should be doing is checking the SKU to the order (and if it was delivered on time). I'm guessing you buy from a distributor, anyways.

etorresg likes this.
  6. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I agree with Andy. ISO 9001 requires that you determine the level of controls necessary to ensure good product - WHICH characteristics you select is left up to your judgement. For the specific product you mention, all I would do is check the actual product identification (SKU number) against the purchase order - if they match, then the probability is VERY high that the material is conforming to 3M tolerances.

tony s and Andy Nichols like this.
  7. junior1505

junior1505 New Member

Greetings of the day.
    There is no specific word or term that you need to inspect.
    But however, when you are procuring, you need to explicitly specify thru your purchase order, your requirements and you have to ascertain during receipt that you have met the conditions and requirements of what is ordered.
    Secondly, if the company is a vendor, you have to specify in your guidelines of the extent of controls over the outsourced products/components. You have to be specific on the "Influence" and "Control".
    Hope this can help.
    Regards.

8. YASEER BIN ROSDI

YASEER BIN ROSDI Member

Thank you Andy, Jennifer, Junior1505 and RonR Quality Pro !

Another question regarding on this topic.

Let say our company bought 3M products (Length - 1M) for 100 rolls.

What is the best AQL standard to check this 100 rolls ?

This is quite hard for our inspector to check the material, because we use AQL 0.40 ?

We only check the length and sku number, however it almost impossible to check within AQL 0.40 standard.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

9. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Remember that inspection is not required.

3M products are ‘catalog’ parts. Inspection is not normally required for these types of parts. They are usually well controlled by the manufacturers and sold through distributors so you have little or no control over the quality

If you are ordering a custom part directly from 3M then inspection may be necessary until you establish that 3M has sufficient control over the part to ‘go to dock to stock’ with no inspection other than a PO compare to confirm they sent the correct part number and quantity.

If you are using a catalog part ‘off label’ in a way that the manufacturer did not intend or if you require tighter tolerances than the manufacturer guarantees then injection is probably required although you will have no recourse to return the parts or request corrective action.

There is no way we can suggest an AQL to you. AQLs are determined either by your Customer (and these are generally final or release inspections of finished goods not incoming or receiving inspection) or by YOU based on the critical nature of the specification. Ask what happens if the part is out of spec? How many out of spec parts can you afford? (Typically an out of spec part at receiving would be scrap or rework in manufacturing). What happens if an out of spec part gets used adn shipped to the Customer? I am very skeptical that a 0.4 AQL is needed for tape length…

10. Andy Nichols

Don't even bother. 3M aren't going to get it wrong. Simply check the paperwork and the labels. Don't waste your time. You have bigger issues to worry about than 3M products being wrongly supplied.

tony s likes this.
  11. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I agree that AQL is of no value with a distribution item like 3M tape.

I would only consider checking to ensure

1) You received what was ordered
    2) If the shelf life is adequate (as applicable)
    3) Delivery, if that is part of the purchase transaction.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  12. YASEER BIN ROSDI

YASEER BIN ROSDI Member

Thank you for all your help !!!

I really appreciate it :)

John C. Abnet and Andy Nichols like this.