1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Receiving Inspection Best Practice

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by MikeR, Apr 28, 2022.

1. MikeR

MikeR Member

I'm curious how some other job shops might handle various receiving inspections.
    We've had a controversy over the level of detail required for different inbound receipts.

For example, if I order a few feet of ETD.150, I'm satisfied w/ my receiving clerk checking the OD and overall length - I'm not going to send an inspector from Quality out to physically inspect/measure. I WILL have my inspector check and validate certs though for this material.

IF on the other hand, I send that bar out to be ground to w/in a few tenths, THEN on receiving that material back in, I'm going to send my inspector out to physically measure as well as validate certs.

Does anybody have their inspectors 100% inspect all material receipts - even rough material from the mill?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I inherited a Receiving Inspection function which inspected everything at a 0.4% AQL (iirc). I tasked my wife (at the time) to analyze the delivery performance of our suppliers over a year's previous deliveries. We stopped inspecting COTS after 3 deliveries without a problem. Parts made to our print were put on reduced inspection (i.d and critical features - not always shown on the drawing but what we knew was important). After 5 deliveries without a problem, we stopped any physical inspections. In the mean time, I worked with Design Engineering and tried to get them to put "critical features" (finish etc) on the prints. I also analyzed the poor performing suppliers for their typical defects and worked on correcting their issues including changing specs to make things clearer/easier to make... We never did 100% unless it was a forced sort. We used data and also requested supplier inspection data.

Sadly, 2 key members of management were far too stupid to see any benefits to critical characteristics or using data to make their decisions and battled my suggestions ("If it's tight tolerance it's critical..." - so I quit!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  3. Jake_E

Jake_E Member

Unfortunately for us, our largest customer requires a hardness test on all incoming raw material to validate the temper. Since we use material formultiple jobs at times, we have implemented a 100% hardness test across the board for all incoming raw material (portable hardness tester for the win). Our Shipping/Receiving Dept. measures all incoming material when they pull it off the truck and records it on the certs for us so we dont have to do that again. It also helps to ensure we get the size and qty we ordered and they state shipped.