1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Question about wall thickness in a tube

Discussion in 'Capability - Process, Machine, Gage …' started by George Davis, Mar 12, 2016.

1. George Davis

George Davis New Member

I am preparing a capability study of wall thickness in a plastic tube. The tube is roughly 26 inches in diameter, and three feet in length. This is a destructive test where the tube is sliced and the wall thickness measured with a micrometer. Measurements are take at both ends of the tube. If I take multiple measurements around the tub at each end, how would I enter that data into the report? Would I enter them as sub-groups?

Thank you.

George

2. AndyH

AndyH Member

For a technical report perhaps tabulated or placed upon a cross-sectional diagram?

Bob Doering likes this.
  3. Bob Doering

Bob Doering Member

I would measure and report the thinnest and thickest value for each section. You can then take all of that data and determine its distribution in a software such as Distribution Analyzer at variation.com. Once you have the best fit distribution, you should be able to determine the capability (the software will report it.) I never assume the variation will be normal. Assumption is a bad thing. Make sure your measurement technique has adequate gage R&R so that the gage and measurement error does not mask your true distribution.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. George Davis

George Davis New Member

Thank you.