1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

QAQC's role in SPC charts

Discussion in 'SPC - Statistical Process Control' started by Jennie, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Jennie

Jennie Member

Well, I'm on a roll with all of my other "dumb question" threads, so what's another... We currently do not have any SPC charting in our facility but we're going that direction. Soon. I was under the assumption that it was QA's responsibility to develop the control limits (or at least review them) and then work with the operator if out of control behavior is seen with a process, determine a root cause, and if necessary initiate a CAPA. What's your take on this? In your company, what exactly is QA's role in SPC charting?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

Application of SPC, Control Charts, and pretty much any other process control or analysis tools is at the discretion and under the authority of whoever the company decides it to be under.
    {Well that's a great sentence that says nothing...right?}

Where I work during the day, QC applies none of this...the department provides all of this to QC for review.
    In my own group, the individual operators are responsible to update, create and sustain control charts for products, including annotation if necessary for special causes. In another group, the operators supply the data and the supervisor handles the charts.
    Software makes the charts easy, so pretty much anyone can do it if they care enough to and are trained.

I, too, will be interested in what folks here find to be the norm in various industries.