1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Process Evaluation: Metrics & Indicators for ALL processes ?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by QualitySys, Aug 11, 2017.

1. QualitySys

QualitySys New Member

Hello everyone,

I am preparing the transition from ISO 9001: 2008 to ISO 9001: 2015. For the context, we are a very small company. Only 20 people.

I have made the process Map of our activities. Where I struggle is: Should we identify metrics / indicators, for all process??

Or we should separately identify metrics and indicators that we need to estimate our management quality system performance, and then associate them to the different process where they fit the best.

I have tried the first approach. And I had the feeling that some processes are just so simple that there is no added value to identify / or associate any measurable metrics for it.

Thanks

2. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

There are some process that may not have measurable metrics. But they still support the KPI of the organization. So from my standpoint just do your best to determine the effectiveness of the activities within your processes.

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I would do your second approach. Pick some metrics that work for you and match them to the processes that make them up. So for example, on-time delivery has inputs/effects from many areas (purchasing, production, maintenance, etc.).

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What does the management of the organization say? If you are doing this alone, there's a big mistake. Most companies, big or small, have goals in place, even if it's in the owner's head. Establish simple goals/objectives: Don't forget, what you're talking about comes from the quality policy - not plucked out of the air! 3 simple objectives:

Do it right the first time
    Do it on time
    Do it at reasonable cost

You can then set targets from these. If you don't do it right first time, what target can you meet? Measure you processes on that basis, plus time and get your costs (scrap, rework etc) under control.

5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

When setting performance indicators and targets on processes, I am guided by the following clauses:
    4.4.1c - determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related performance indicators) needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes;
    6.2.1 - The organization shall establish quality objectives at relevant functions, levels and processes needed for the quality management system; and
    9.1.1a - The organization shall determine: a) what needs to be monitored and measured.