1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

No Quality Manual, now what?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Andy Nichols, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yes Bradley, I think you are. Evidence is the results of something - think "crime scene". Having procedures, manuals and instructions isn't evidence of anything much - maybe good intentions.

Frequently, auditors want to see things written down. They have to let that go, since it depends on the context of the organization. Now, results, records etc - THAT's evidence...

2. Bradley Buchanan

Bradley Buchanan Member

Andy to that we agree. Results and records provide evidence that supports organizational processes and those we have. I agree that procedures and manuals aren't evidence. For several years now we have focused on the processes and the outcomes of those processes. Measuring these to see how they affect product conformity and the QMS. I am happy to say we a process based QMS that works well for us.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. MarkMeer

MarkMeer Well-Known Member

Good discussion!

To summarize from these posts, it seems the "merits" people find in establishing and maintaining a Quality Manual is:
    1. Provide "context" of organization (organizational overview?), and a "framework" for the QMS (an index & flowchart?)
    2. Something to send to customers who request it
    3. A training tool for new employees
    Am I missing anything? ...if this is the breadth of actual value of the Quality Manual, then it's no wonder the requirement is removed.
    (1) Can be summarized in a process flowchart
    (2) This depends on the customer-organization arrangement, hardly something that needs to be enforced by the standard
    (3) I suspect that its "usefulness" as a training tool is eclipsed by actual job-specific, procedure-specific training

For most organizations: business as usual. I'm sure there are examples of well-written Quality Manuals out there, but I've yet to be convinced of the additional value that would warrant encouraging companies to maintain such a document.

Until such a case can be made, I'm in the "good riddance" camp.

MM

4. Andy Nichols

I'm thinking, Mark, that an organization should understand its context BEFORE deciding if it even wants/needs a Quality Manual (or any other kinds of "maintained information"... It's not necessarily a place to document the context - management review records would be as good as any place. And I don't believe it's chicken and egg, either...

5. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Defining context is an exercise I have seen in every business plan template or software I have ever seen. Most have been just blanks on the page, to write on.

For my classes I started with a list of External and Internal Factors borrowed Figure 6.1 (environmental analysis) in the ASQ Certified QMS Handbook. It is just an affinity diagram. It could be on a dinner napkin - no set form of documentation exists for this.

The IAF/ISO Auditing Practices Group has put out a free guidance document on Context. As context represents the core of the organization - it is, literally its context - the scope is derived and relevance is determined in this step. Since the 2015 version of the standard frequently qualifies "relevant" within its subclauses giving the organization a chance to determine whether or not the requirements apply, this really is a critical first step.

Jamie Adamson and MCW8888 like this.
  6. Somashekar

Somashekar Well-Known Member

The degree to which the relevance is determined is the first risk based thinking ~~~ :)

7. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

Organizations itself may decide to have comprehensive QM of tens pages covering all chapters of the Standard. Like the case is with the present QM most of which are excessive in terms of 4.2.2 though they could be of 3 pages. I audited organizations with such brief QM in conformity with the Standard. which were well understood by employees.

MCW8888 and Claes Gefvenberg like this.
  8. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I started with the SWOT Analysis using the sticky pad. Now I actually have information to build the Context of the Organization. We revisit this SWOT when we develop the Risk analysis of the QMS. The highest risk are the Threats and Weaknesses and we put Opportunities for improvement action plan. I do not know how it will go but it would be a very nice piece of story during the external audit because we will put our Top Management on the spot. He is OK with it. No more delegation-just hands on commitment to QMS.

9. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

SWOT is a great tool. You have already identified external and internal interested parties and determined who is relevant?

10. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Yes, from the SWOT we all identified the internal and external interested parties and determined who is relevant and not relevant. Form that we have developed the scope.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

I believe so - it's the difference (of intent) between "maintained" and "retained" information...