1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

No Quality Manual, now what?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Andy Nichols, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I don't wish to sound like a nay-sayer, but I don't believe this is accurate. The internal auditors, in my experience of running, teaching and coaching, is that internal auditors don't need to actually know much about the standard! Doing internal audits is much more about looking at the effectiveness of the organization's processes and the interfaces and waaaaay less about the standard. Sure, they might need to know something about what the standard says, but frankly, too many people get too wrapped around the axle when it comes to the standard. Management don't really care too much about it - they're far more interested in whether their process is going to a) be in control and b) deliver the results they get measured on. Focusing on what some ISO they've never read states is like speaking a different language...

Abdul wajeed k likes this.
  2. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I got your point Andy. Our internal auditors get trained on the standards, Risk based auditing and company policies and procedure. The external auditors seem to recognize the effort we put in on our internal audits. One auditor made comments that we have a very "robust internal audit program". the experience from other people like this website give us background information when we tell our story during these audits. Thanks.

3. Andy Nichols

External auditors WILL recognize your audit programme in that way! They see you emulating what they do! It's like flattery. Sadly, they have almost no clue what an internal audit programme SHOULD look like! I sat across from a CB auditor who told management they had a "World Class" internal audit programme. For one, I don't even begin to know what that means and secondly, it was soooo far from true it wasn't funny! Not a single member of management was involved in a huge plant! They say platitudes so you feel good, I'm sorry to tell you. Auditor are afraid of bringing only bad news (non-conformities etc.)

BTW - it's NOT what the external auditors think about it, it's what value the audit programmes bring to MANAGEMENT!

4. Tom Waite

Tom Waite Member

Back in the day a Cove Member (that I may or may not have just quoted above) actually critiqued my manual (TS) and made some very good suggestions for improvements. Now I am not offering his time or energy so please do not run out and send him your manuals....LOL But he was gracious enough to offered and I accepted and it helped me.

In fact taking his guidance we went even a step further and reduced our quality manual from 42 pages to 8 pages. Since it is not a document that does much of anything other than establish the framework of the system and hopefully lays some ground work for the quality culture we removed a lot of wasted articulation that sounded good. Rarely is it used to land new customers, if ever so why did we have so much in it. Who were we trying to impress.

tony s likes this.
  5. Bradley Buchanan

Bradley Buchanan Member

Wow! I feel like I'm back in the Cove... I believe there is a place for some "high level" document to cover the words of ISO9001 Clause 4 at least. What you call it and how you apply it should be left to the organization. Anything over 15 pages is overkill (less than 10 is better). I once worked for an organization with a 115 page QM; spent 4 years there...never got through it all. Apparently, AS9100-2016 will keep the QM so it would seem that IAQG members think it has relevance.

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

As I'm discovering, if we go to the "context of the organization" of the 2015 standard, it become a lot clearer if we should have one or not (at least, if you understand correctly the context of the org, that is!)

7. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

I've always thought of the QM as an easy way to get a feel for the status of the QMS at an organization I'll never get to visit.

Created years ago and never or rarely revised ? That tells a tale.

Revised often, and the names of the people revising it change each time ? That's another tale.

It's been through one of those stages, and then it appears to be stable ? That's yet another tale.

8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I've checked the statements on clause 4 and found:
    • 4.1 does not require organizations to maintain or retain documented information, but does require organizations to monitor and review information about internal and external issues;
    • 4.2 does not require organizations to maintain or retain documented information, but does require organizations to monitor and review information about interested parties and their relevant requirements.
    Further according to Annex A.6: "Where this International Standard refers to “information” rather than “documented information” (e.g. in 4.1: “The organization shall monitor and review the information about these external and internal issues”), there is no requirement that this information is to be documented. In such situations, the organization can decide whether or not it is necessary or appropriate to maintain documented information".
    • 4.3 does require the scope to be maintained as documented information;
    • 4.4.2 does require documented information to be maintained and retained to support operation of the processes and to have confidence that the processes are carried out as planned.
    From the above statements, I believe having a "high level" document to cover the words of clause 4 is not necessary.

charanjit singh likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Tony: If you look only at the strict requirements, you can form an incorrect viewpoint - one of the purposes of the "context of the organization" is to determine the need for documentation - like a quality manual. It's not appropriate to analyze the words of the standard for direction, instead look at the organization, its interested parties and so on and THEN determine if a manual (whatever it's called) is a form of documented information about the QMS.

10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I'm basing my answer on the clauses I've mentioned. It's my understanding also that the organization, by their analyses of their processes while using the standard as guide, has the prerogative to determine and decide what should be maintained or retained as documented information.

For most, if not all, organizations who need to demonstrate conformity to ISO 9001, there is value in analyzing the words of the standard for direction.

11. Andy Nichols

The addition of the first requirement, "Context of the Organization" is a clue to why simple analysis of clauses for instruction on what is/what isn't "required" has been added. After 25 years of implementation experience, TC 176 have found it's not appropriate to tell an organization what/how to document their QMS - instead leaving it to discretion, based on an understanding of the identified context, considering "interested parties" and so on. To be clear: looking for a requirement in the words of a clause is no longer the way to understand and utilize ISO 9001.

12. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

This would be hard to swallow. ISO 9001:2015 clauses 4 to 10 have a total of 132 "shalls" and certification bodies use these as part of the audit criteria where organizations need to demonstrate conformity.

I believe ISO 9001:2015 have something to say on "WHAT" must be documented but silent on "HOW" the QMS should be documented. There are documented information that must be "maintained" and documents that must be "retained". There are documented information that are "required" and those that are "as necessary".

Attached are tables for reference on "shalls" and "documented information".

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

MCW8888 likes this.
  13. Andy Nichols

Tony, using what a Certification Body wants to use as audit criteria is, once again, the wrong reason for deciding how an organization should approach the whole concept of a QMS and how to document it. The answer lies in understanding the context of the organization. When you promote the design of the QMS to suit auditors - and we all know how varied their understanding is - it like designing a new product to please the QC people and not to meet the customers' needs or designing it to be manufacturable. I encourage you to rethink this.

Mgoff0519 and RoxaneB like this.
  14. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Using the criteria of a standard as the means by which a QMS is developed, implemented, enhanced, and/or audited may help check off those pretty little boxes on someone's list, but it will add very little value to the culture of the organization. If anything, it will enhance the police-mentality that so many of us have fought to shake off in our attempts to show that true Quality lies not within one department but as a core component to everyone within the organization. If auditors - internal or external - didn't understand or like the way our Business Management System was documented, they were instructed to turn to Appendix A of our BMS Manual (because we did have one of those), where a matrix was place showing every single standard we conformed to and how each element within every single standard aligned with OUR organization. If we did not do this, we would have had a QMS and an EMS and two different H&S MS's and a Financial MS and an MS just for our organizational standards. All I can say to that is...EWWWW!

Knowing the criteria of a standard and understanding the criteria of a standard are two different things. The former is the black-and-white, verbatim recitation of the requirements and this level of knowledge often results in organizations changing (or developing) processes to meet the requirements. The latter, however, is comprehending the intent of the requirements and being able to make them fit the organization (occasionally requiring a tweak to or an enhancement of an existing process).

I am now with a different organization in a different field, but the application of multiple standards to one organization is repeating itself. So, while I dislike the name, I'm developing our QSA (Quality Standards Assessment) criteria, that blends the requirements of all the different standards we aim to conform to. If external (or internal) people wish to understand how their specific standards fits...we have a tool for that. In the meantime, the larger value-add to our organization is seeing how the standards and their requirements fit within our organization so that we identify our strengths and opportunities on a more holistic (and occasionally multi-standard) level.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

15. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I could not agree more on this. To be clear also, we implement and document our QMS based on our understanding of the intent of the standard and not on the CB's interpretation of the standard. I've just commented on your post that says "To be clear: looking for a requirement in the words of a clause is no longer the way to understand and utilize ISO 9001." Of course we also consider those "shalls" in operating our QMS and since we want to maintain our certificate - we also find value in demonstrating to external parties (e.g. customers and CBs) that those "shalls" are being complied with by our own understanding of the intent of the standard.

If all organizations see the standard as people-with-25-years-of-implementation-experience see it, then Clause 4 is enough. Why? because they've been there, done that/those. They already know that running a QMS needs some form of planning, policy/objective setting, management review, internal audit, control of documentation, etc. However, most organizations will have to see them, initially, as "shalls" that must be acted on. Then, as they mature, appreciate the value of having procedures/controls/approaches that were in place as a result of addressing the "shalls". The approaches and understanding will evolve and will come a time that they no longer need a pretty listing of "shalls" to operate effectively a QMS.

Mgoff0519 likes this.
  16. Andy Nichols

From my perspective, people with 25 years of experience are still clinging to "Say What You Do, Do What You Say". 25 years of experience can be 1 year of experience, repeated 25 times...

pkfraser likes this.
  17. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Haven't gone beyond 20 years of QMS experience. I should be wary then.:eek:

18. Bradley Buchanan

Bradley Buchanan Member

Gotta agree with Tony here. Although the organization will strive to understand and determine their "context of the organization" while using the Standard as a guide; staring at 132 "shalls" in a 19 page document gives me pause as to who is determining my "context". Whether appropriate or not, the first thing I am concerned with is how do I provide "evidence" for all those shalls to the CB. As Andy said; "looking for a requirement in the words of a clause is no longer the way to understand and utilize ISO 9001" but what kind of outcome can an organization expect if those "shalls" are not addressed and documented?

19. Andy Nichols

Did you ask your CB? Since there's a whole lot less required to be "documented", if you hitch your wagon to a CB who tells their auditors to expect a document when one isn't specified - or worse, doesn't give any direction - you'll get what you pay for!

An effective CB will NOT expect auditors to ask for documentation, unless the client has determined, through an understanding of its "context" that a document was necessary. EOS

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  20. Bradley Buchanan

Bradley Buchanan Member

Andy, I know that less is required to be documented in the new Standard. Yes, Annex B to ISO 9001-2008 will no longer be applicable along the the "mandatory" 6 procedures. However, the key here is "evidence" to show or prove compliance with all the shalls. An auditor wants to see evidence of compliance, not my word that I complied. As you know evidence comes in many forms (but most of it is documented; be it procedures, work instructions, manuals, records, minutes, emails, training records, work order travelers, etc., etc., etc.)...or am I missing something here?