1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Need Recommendations for Benefical External Auditing Training

Discussion in 'Training - Internal, External and Web-Based' started by Nikki, Sep 18, 2015.

1. drgnrider

drgnrider Member

I'll second Nikki on this sentiment. I was actually just starting to look into ASQ's-CQA, but have not been able to look too deeply into to it at this time... (MASSIVE shake-up here in about ten weeks), any inputs to this idea?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

From what I remember - and please someone correct me - the CQA treats audits as a kind of "one-size-fits-all" approach, so unless they segment the various (3) types of auditing, I believe Nikki won't be much better off that the LA training she's already had. At a practical level, supplier audits break into 2 type, "pre-award" and "post-award", and I'm not certain the CQA goes into that degree of granularity.

3. AdenaBurnette

AdenaBurnette Member

So this is an old post....I'm hoping that it can re-open a few topics for me.

I have just been told that if we wanted to complete our own internal audit, that we'd need to have a "Qualified Lead Auditor". At first, I took this to mean, someone who knows how to conduct audits; however then it was explained to me that this means that this Lead Auditor must attend a 5 day class and is required to pass a written exam at the conclusion of the class. Is this accurate? Is the only other option, to hire a consulting agency to do an audit for us? This is the first that I've heard of this, so I'm just trying to sift through the 'sales pitch' and get to the actual requirements. Thanks for any input in advance.

4. Andy Nichols

Rubbish!
    Complete and utter nonsense!
    Not if they think the same things as the auditor!
    Good!

What actually needed is some people who are competent to perform your audits. Competency means being able to demonstrate knowledge and skills. Auditors are listeners - does it take 5 days to learn to listen? Nope! Auditors interview - as questions - and most of us have done that (to the embarrassment of adults around us) since we could talk. Auditors seek verification of what they ask about and see/hear and evaluate it objectively - "Just give me the facts M'am". They need to be able to plan their activity, to keep time, and a host of other things, including write a short, clear report. You get little to none of that in a LA course (I know, I wrote and taught those courses)

You could get some of the auditor's skills in a 2 or 3 day class. I think the better option is to have someone mentor a few candidates who have some good, basic competencies like those above...

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Nikki and Claes Gefvenberg like this.
  5. Claes Gefvenberg

Claes Gefvenberg Moderator Staff Member

Actually.... some never learn, but then, those who don't are not auditor material. :rolleyes:

Nikki, RoxaneB and Andy Nichols like this.
  6. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Do you want to take the training administered by IRCA? Go to their website and fill out the application.

7. Andy Nichols

IRCA administer the training providers, not the training. The application is for organizations who wish to have courses recognized. IRCA also administer the qualification of auditors and, for most, internal auditors don't want to pay (or be involved in the paperwork filling).

MCW8888 likes this.
  8. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

OK thank you. Also in the IAOB website, there is a training for auditor development but then you have to be sponsored by a CB. Why don't the Forum Moderators collaborate and advertise a public training for Internal Auditors? The ones given by the CB's are for widgets and had nothing to do with our business.

9. Andy Nichols

A nice idea but we're in different countries and all have (for the most part) regular day time paid employment...

MCW8888 likes this.