1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

KPI Monitoirng Software

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by tamer_elsayed, Nov 20, 2015.

1. tamer_elsayed

tamer_elsayed Member

Hi guys,

I am currently using a simple offline Excel sheet for KPIs results recording, monitoring, and analysis. unfortunately, this sheet gives me hell since it contains a lot of data which need to be processed, so you can expect all kind of crashing, loosing data, and errors events which drive me crazy.

All I need is an offline software that can maintain and process my data. I have surfed the internet and found a lot of online software, but this is not what I seek as I have frequent internet disconnections in my work place.

To cut short all this suffering, any recommendations please.

2. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

If you have a lot of data to be processed,you should try to develop your software app.
    Or maybe at least excel plus excel macros or visual basic.
    You have reached Excel functionality
    Regards

3. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

depending on your company size there are limited options. If you are use SAP, Tableau is an option. but its expensive.
    If you are rather large and have disparate data bases that hold your data you could use SAS to automate yoru your reports and build dashbords. (My organization uses a combination of SAS and Tableau depending on the type of data and the analysis) If you are ratehr small, you might try Minitab or JMP and use their scripting capabilities - they will handle much larger data sets than EXCEL.

There is no real 'canned' solution out there that I know of.

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

In a previous company, we developed our own in-house application to help us manage our KPIs. It still required manual entry at the "lowest level" indictors, but did then allow for automatic roll-up or an upwards cascade of results. The downside was if one lower level KPI was missed. Our developers said we had to choose between no roll-up happening (and then a manual search was needed to find the missing KPI value) OR we had to accept that rolled-up results could be inaccurate due to the possibility of missing data.

In my current company, we use Microstrategies to house all of our collected data. From there, our in-house developers have developed dashboards for process owners and leadership to review if results are meeting targets. This does require our formulas to be correct as well as establishing proper links to the data to be mined.

5. tamer_elsayed

tamer_elsayed Member

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it!

These recommendations are so valuable, so I will take my time for exploring them and check which one suits me better.

My company is small, and I am using a free excel performance dashboard called X-KPI. It is good, but unfortunately you can't customize it in any way and it gets slow with large data with some crashes. Still it is useful.

6. RoxaneB

Something else to consider the number of KPIs (and associated data). Not all Indicators *need* to be Key. Some are more like control indicators...they help support the overall evaluation of the process, but they're not the real speakers of the situation. You could house the data in excel or some other program but use your software only for those real KPIs.

7. tamer_elsayed

tamer_elsayed Member

It is clear and I completely agree with you.

I have another challenge. When there is an objective that need to be achieved within a definite time frame (e.g. KPI= 75% by the 3rd Quarter end), what would be the best practice? Noting the percentage found in June only, or averaging what was obtained during 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters? Since June's finding will reflect only that spot and to the best of my knowledge, averaging the percentages is incorrect.

8. RoxaneB

It varies on the type of indicator. There are some metrics best calculated/reported as a Year-To-Date total or sum (e.g. # of individuals trained on process XYZ) and there are others that are best reported as a Year-To-Date average (e.g., % utilization of process XYZ).

I prefer showing the monthly performance AND the Year-To-Date performance (be it a total sum or an average). This shows how the monthly performance has impacted or contributed towards the overall desired result. In some cases, I also show a pace or trend, which allows for the conversation of "If we continue at this pace and level of performance, we will hit (or we will not hit) our target by XXX."

So, let's say the metric # of individuals trained on process XYZ and it's currently June and we've being aiming for 2 people trained per month:

January = 2
    February = 1
    March = 2
    April = 7
    May = 1
    June = 0

If you plot that out, it's trending down, despite the spike in April. However, that spike does help the pace, and if we continue at training an average of 2.2 people per month for the rest of the year, we'll come in at over 26.2 people trained, surpassing our goal of 24 (we were originally aiming for 2 people per month = 2*12 = 24). Taking out the decimal points, and rounding it down to 2 people, we'll come in at 25 people trained for the year, still achieving our target, despite the negative year-to-date trend.

Hopefully that helps. Essentially, looking at one month's performance (or even one quarter's) is nice to see how that time period went, but you should also look at how it contributes to the overall timeframe.

tamer_elsayed likes this.
  9. tamer_elsayed

tamer_elsayed Member

This is more than helpful! RoxaneB, I can't thank you enough :)

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  10. RoxaneB

Glad I could help! :)

11. QMSmaster

QMSmaster Active Member

CAn you provide a link to X-KPI?