1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO9001:2015 clause 8.3 not applicable

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Hari Varma, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Hari Varma

Hari Varma New Member

Hi,
    I am currently making the above statement in our Quality manual based on:
    • Our organisation has developed a Prototype product, which is based on market research and ideas from the company's owner.
    • The organisation has an R&D department but in future the offerings to external clients could be our designed product or a consultancy service.
    The current position we have taken is that as there are no external customer to-date, and as such design and development does not occur based on external requirements. The design is purely based on the above. Hence there are no inputs to clause 8.3 and it is not applicable.

However, if future, if there are potential customers who would want to make changes to our design, then part of clause 8.3.6 would apply.

I hope my statement tat "clause 8.3 is not applicable" is valid. If not, please advise.

I can provide more information if you think the above is not suffice.

Thanks
    Hari

2. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Hari
    Ref ISO9000:2015: <3.2.4 customer = person or organization that could ... receive a product or a service that is intended for or required by this person or organization
    EXAMPLE Consumer, client, end-user, retailer, receiver of product or service from an internal process, beneficiary and purchaser.
    Note 1 to entry: A customer can be internal or external to the organization
    >.
    So the fact that you do not have a paying customer now is irrelevant. I am sure that you are not designing anything that will not meet the requirements of at least one prospective buyer.
    By the way, I think that the definition is confusing and all-encompassing, probably unintentionally(!)

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

As Peter points out, it matters not if you have sold anything. If the organization is responsible for creating product specifications (which is the most common design situation) you may not exclude the new product design process.