1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Is a NIST traceable cert same as an ISO 17025 accredited cert ?

Discussion in 'ISO 17025 - Calibration and Test Laboratories' started by runbird, Dec 9, 2015.

1. runbird

runbird New Member

for audit purpose,

is it the same?

2. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

An ISO 17025 accredited cert would include NIST traceability wherever possible, or at least it should. There are rare instances where an equivalent national (or international) body could be used as NIST does not calibrate every single gage type available. Also keep in mind that NIST traceability is incomplete without a listed uncertainty, as this is how the calibration results are evaluated. This is something I've seen missing on more certs than I care to admit.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

"For audit purpose"? Could you explain what you mean?

4. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

I read this as whether the two were considered the same or interchangeable to someone performing an audit. I maintain that the two are basically inseparable because that traceability is required for ISO 17025 accredited labs. So, the actual purpose would most likely not matter as long as there was a requirement for an ISO 17025 cert.

5. David Bradley

David Bradley Active Member

Interesting question... NIST is an organization that develops standards (traceable to NIST standards). ISO 17025 is a certifiable management scheme. One cannot get registered to NIST, and you can't calibrate something to ISO 17025 standards. In an audit, I don't think I would accept a calibration record that indicates a device was calibrated to ISO 17025. I am not sure I would accept a calibration from a company that claimed to be NIST certified. NIST relates to the device, 17025 relates to the company. I hope I am explaining that clearly.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  6. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

For the lab to meet the requirements of ISO 17025, the instrument in question must be calibrated to a traceable standard (NIST or equivalent.) They are NOT interchangeable, but you need one to have the other. I wasn't suggesting anything else, only offering my thoughts on what the original (unclear) question may have been.

Metrologist likes this.
  7. Andy Nichols

I'm wondering if the OP could shed some light on what audit purpose they are asking about...

8. Metrologist

Metrologist New Member

Runbird,
    Has your original question been answered or would additional clarification be needed?

9. Andy Nichols

I guess, a year later, we'll never know...