1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Inspiration / Motivation

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by Tom Waite, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Tom Waite

Tom Waite Member

A couple questions on this front to get this going.

1) Has anyone heard Erik Wahl speak? He was at the ASQ World conference a few years ago - great speaker and motivator to challenge thought.

2) Anyone listened to Eric Thomas? Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

I can't seem to get enough of either of these motivators.

2. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

Speakers can be entertaining, but eventually they are the ones who will be forgotten. I've always felt that true motivation comes from within. Who will better understand your own motivations than you? The great leaders know that they are there to basically find out what matters most to their employees and guide them in that direction to the betterment (hopefully) of the organization. The difficult part is aligning this with both the company's goals and the goals of other employees. But if this is successful, the employees feel empowered and accomplished. The organization is not providing the motivation; the organization provides the place for the self-motivated to bring their best. It sounds Utopian, but if we're striving for this the results should at least be positive.

This becomes even more challenging in life, once you come to the realization that in this case YOU are your own leader. That's why I feel everyone needs to know and understand at least the basics of leadership.

This may be a simplification, but stripped down to this level, anything that works against this (excuses, bad behavior, personality conflicts, etc.) is simply noise that needs to be filtered out. This is however, only an opinion, so take that for whatever it may be worth.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a motivational speaker, nor do I even pretend to play one on TV, the internet, or anywhere else for that matter. All this on a Monday, and personally not a very good one at that.

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard Erik Wahl or Eric Thomas, but a motivational speaker's success is, in my view the sense of empowerment that the message (and its delivery) that the listener takes away.