1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

incoming inspection failure

Discussion in 'Sampling, Standards and Inspection' started by mk241, Nov 11, 2019.

1. mk241

mk241 Member

Hi,

I have encountered an issue where our production failed to conduct a full incoming inspection of the parts.
    To make a board assembly, it requires a lot of small components. At the moment, one person loads the sub components in the machine based on BOM's; the other person cross check if the correct sub components are loaded in the machine. However, both of them failed to filter that one of the sub components is different to the part listed in BOM's. Due to a long product part number, there was confusion.
    Hence, now I am seeking a way to prevent this human error by introducing auto scanning like using a supplier barcode in a way that our barcode scanner which links to our ERP system read the supplier barcode and check if the scanned part is actually listed in the BOM's. I am not sure if this is doable.

Would you have any suggestion?
    Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    MK

2. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

Why not apply an internal part number so it's not so long and confusing?

Quality Guy likes this.
  3. Quality Guy

Quality Guy Member

Nikki has a great idea here. We do this on a regular basis, it is especially helpful when dealing with long part numbers that have long strings of zeros or any repeating number in them. It helps filter out some of the confusion.

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

The bar code is definitely doable and is a best practice. However, Nikki's suggestion is also good. I have also seen where the "key" characters of the part number are printed in larger font to make them stand out.