1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

I'm struggling to understand...

Discussion in 'Process Audits and Layered Process Audits' started by Andy Nichols, May 2, 2017.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Today I was asked a question about something I'd never (practically) encountered before: "Reverse PFMEA". I was struggling to understand. So, I did the Google thing and discovered that it's a GM requirement and they appear to want someone to check to see if what's been put in the PFMEA is actually practiced! Oddly, they don't mention the Control Plan or the Process Flow diagram.

I've concluded that the auto industry doesn't have a good grasp of why and how internal QMS audits are performed. This reverse PFMEA malarky and also LPAs are simply something else to do because internal audit programs aren't run properly! Because they are often done (only) once or twice a year and rarely get into details, is the reason they miss many of the issues that these "new tools" have been created to fix! Of course, it's also compounded by clueless CB auditors who seem to think one internal audit a year is just fine and dandy... <smh>.

Just recently, I pulled out a 1) process flow chart, 2) the PFMEA and 3) the CP only to find glaring errors - including NOTHING for the reaction plan to the HIGHEST RPN on the FMEA! This isn't rocket science, so why do we keep adding levels of complexity, with new tools, dreamed up by people who don't grasp the basics? I'm struggling to understand...

Katherine, normzone and Bev D like this.
  2. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

Quote from the movie "Airplane" applicable to our career of choice ....

" I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue ".

Andy Nichols likes this.