1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF 16949 Auditor Guide

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Andy Nichols, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone read through the above document? Any comments regarding the competencies?

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Yes ,....I own a ring binder "pocket" complete version of this document.

The biggest reason i never refer to it (beyond the initial perusal when I first got it), is the way it is laid out. Confusing . For example, I never have figure out what "diamond' icon identifiers signify (e.g. activity 11 , 12...)

Could have saved my money...., but maybe for someone completely unfamiliar with the standard/rules, it may be insightful ?

Be well.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I have noticed - worryingly so - that the auditor competency criteria goes beyond anything the standard(s) require. For example:

Item 5 - describe how risk and opportunity can be incorporated into the QMS?
    Item 10 - a full cycle of internal audits?
    Item 20 - policy and objectives based on strategic direction?

Criteria 1 - describe what a risk is? An opportunity? The Rules requirements related to the process approach auditing?

Seriously? For what, auditors being paid $500/day? Yeah, right. There is no way that a single (Lead) CB auditor meets these criteria. Clearly, the training they receive doesn't even come close to making them competent. Nice try, but sadly missing the mark.

Oh and BTW, most IATF companies I've seen don't come close to these crazy interpretations of what ISO 9001 is about (and hence IATF)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022