1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How would you handle this situation?

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by QA Bee, Apr 14, 2016.

1. QA Bee

QA Bee Member

I did make him sign and had put a memo on - Why QA signatures were not done, since ultimately my department processes Document Change Request and Nonconformace. So, we processed both with my memo and his signatures. But, R&D doesn't want memo to stay in the file.
    What should I do? - I don't want to end up having a improvement or nonconformity (during audit) for not closing NCMR and processing Document change request according to procedures.

2. QA Bee

QA Bee Member

Good idea!

3. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

Yeah, it worked pretty well. Initially it lacked teeth, it was just a notification, and an honor system.

The process required an email blast to the inspection and shipping crews, materials, sales, engineering and the president, stating the customer, product and the problem.

I began these emails with the wording " I hold Stop Shipment / Shipment Authorization #18, regarding customer XYZ and P/N 123 " then I'd describe the problem and any potential solutions in process, then remind people that this meant it couldn't ship unless they were wiling to either take responsibility or tell me a story that made me comfortable shipping it.

Eventually I got a tool that allowed me to go into the system and lock up that part number so it REALLY couldn't ship.

It worked to get people off their butts and addressing solutions, or contacting customers and saying " do you want it on schedule with this bug, or would you rather wait ? "

Don't worry about a potential nonconformance - if it happens it will only reinforce the point.

I tell my guys that part of my job is to keep them from going to jail, or make certain that enough of us go at the same time that we can form a posse in the cellblock. I tell them when it is a "most cigarettes" moment ( I'm NOT going to wind up married to the guy with the most cigarettes ). Copy the contents of the memo onto the record, initial and date it. Or copy the memo in email, and reference that email and the date on the record.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016