1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How to comply with IATF clause 9.3.2.1 J) Identification of potential field failure?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Pongsakorn, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

What should be the proper evidence of Management Review Inputs for IATF clause 9.3.2.1 J) "Identification of P0tential Field Failure identified through risk analysis"?

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  2. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

I am not sure what your customer requires but, one thing that you could do to provide proper evidence is to add a checklist to your Corrective/Preventive Action document to always check and update your Contol Plan's and FMEA's that were affected and present the updated documents during the Management Review Meeting. This helps to "beef up" your FMEA and come up with better Reaction Plans. Presenting any Corrective/Preventive Action items and showing that you make continual improvements to your controlled documents helps ease an audit.

Pongsakorn likes this.
  3. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

I have been doing on what you mentioned, however, what should be the evidence of Management Review Input for this requirement?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

2 things. Have you had any field failure-related feedback (returns, complaints etc) and then did you do anything about it, IF you DID have that feedback. Simples!

Pongsakorn likes this.
  5. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Thank you Andy.
    However, what you mentioned should be "Actual Field Failure".
    "Potential Field Failure" should be done using Risk analysis through FMEA but I do not know what should be the "Input" for Management Review.
    Is it the list of new failure mode that could cause field failure from FMEA review?, this is just my opinion but need to check with others if it is proper.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I overlooked that important point. So, did your FMEA reveal any failure which could affect the (final) customer (user) in their use of the product? That is to say, was there anything which would rate a "high" severity and a "high" detection (relying on inspection which may not be very effective if not performed by machines)? With the "old" version this isn't as easy as with the "new" (VDA-AIAG version) of FMEA. You can look at similar products you've manufactured to see if the FMEA revealed anything like this and then extrapolate. Simply review and analyze this information for reporting to MR.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Pongsakorn likes this.
  7. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Thank you so much Andy, it is very helpful.

Andy Nichols likes this.