1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

GS1 and PEEPOL Adoption

Discussion in 'Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide' started by Vintage Goose, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Vintage Goose

Vintage Goose Active Member

Hi, this may only apply in UK (and maybe Europe).

Is anyone working on adopting the PEEPOL (Pan European Public Procurement On-Line) program for product supply to NHS trusts? I have started receiving emails from the UK Dept of Health, saying that we must be compliant by 2017 or we will be unable to sell to UK NHS hospitals. However, no one in sales, operations or finance know anything about it.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Chris

2. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

[Vintage Goose] - I can't help you with this question, I only came here to find out what PEEPOL stood for. But then I saw your user name.

That dimly lit silhouette looks vaguely familiar - Moto Guzzi? 1999 Bassa rider myself...

3. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

4. Steve Kent

Steve Kent Member

UK medical device suppliers are meant to sign up to a PEPPOL access point by September 2016 - see https://www.gs1uk.org/~/media/docum...-mdd-ivd-compliance-timeline-230516.pdf?la=en

Before that you need to join GS1 and get GTINs allocated. I am currently looking into the costs and practicalities of signing up to PEPPOL (already with GS1). Not certain how many companies are signing up in reality, noting that there is currently a trial going on with 6 NHS Trusts which started in January 2016, and is supposed to last for 2 years.

Steve

5. Vintage Goose

Vintage Goose Active Member

Thanks Steve, like you we are already registered with GS1 and have barcodes on our products. It is the PEEPOL side that I'm not so sure about. I'm not certain if PEEPOL will be compulsory. I'll post on here if i find more information.

Steve Kent likes this.
  6. Steve Kent

Steve Kent Member

I got some information after talking to a Peppol Access Point provider and some idea of cost. It can be set up in phases. Initially you can just register with your GLN, so then you become visible to the various NHS Trusts that have also signed up, and visa-versa. In this way you can meet the DoH deadline of 30th September 2016. You can then apparently send tests messages. The next phase was referred to as ‘mapping’. This how an order from a Trust’s ERP system (such as Oracle) is converted to a file form your ERP system can read (may need an add-on module from your ERP provider), and similarly when you invoice them the other way round. You get a ‘dashboard’ to see what is going on. The first set up phase was quoted as a £500 one off fee. The’ mapping’ phase, a £1000 one off fee and then a 20p cost for each transaction. The chat made things a bit clearer, but I still have problems really getting head round this (never mind GSDN data pools –totally separate from PEPPOL it would appear).
    Steve