1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Gauge R&R for standard measuring instruments- calipers, micrometers...

Discussion in 'APQP and PPAP' started by Sundance, Aug 31, 2016.

1. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I agree. There are times that specifications are set tighter than necessary. In some organizations, slight widening of the tolerances are less costly or feasible than putting too much effort in correcting the machinery, tooling or gauges.

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

But when you have one organization responsible for the design and one for making the thing it becomes difficult. Theses days designers have little understanding of the manufacturing process used to make their widgets. So getting more tolerance is very difficult.

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's why designers should be knowledgeable on the principles of DFM (design for manufacturability).

4. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

Or, you drag them there, kicking and screaming if you have to.

5. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

I'd also reverse calculate the tolerance required to achieve the R&R objectives.

6. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Whoa. Let's think about that... The objective is to make parts that work properly for the Customer. tolerances should be derived from the function of the part. Certainly the designer should be aware of gauging and manufacturing capabilities so that the part is affordable as well as functional and not just over designed to make things easier on the designer. But then manufacturing should not just do things that make it easier on them at the expense of the customer. Design and manufacturing need to collaborate, not try to defeat the other function....

7. ncwalker

We're a long way from than, Bev. :)

Often, the designer copy/pastes some tolerance from some similar part that was arrived at by atmospheric analysis. I've never seen intentional testing of dimensional limits during a launch myself. Well, maybe a few very key ones. But, if in a production investigation, say for some lean study or root cause analysis, we actually ANALYZE some statistics (because we also all know THAT's being done on a regular basis. :) Anyway, in this study, if I find that "this whole time" we've been making parts to a larger tolerance and there's no warranty or test data to indicate it has been a problem - should they then not be opened up? Or at the least scrutinized with a study demonstrating why the NEED to be so tight?

(For the discussion, we will assume safety critical things are off the table, I'm talking general tolerances ...)

8. Bev D

Of course there are designers who pull specifications out of the air. And in these cases we should engineer the specifications. Engineer them. Not calculate what will make the gage R&R 'pass'. Specifications should ensure function for the Customer - the paying Customer...

9. ncwalker

Good discussion. :) My counterpoint ....

I agree. Specifications (tolerances) should be engineered. There is a large body of work that allows this, but it is not a COMPLETE body. Example: There's all kinds of work calculating tolerances for steel pins to be press fit into steel holes. But nowadays, we use a lot of different materials. There's not so much work for press fitting steel pins into magnesium or composites. Yet it's done.

So when we launch a new product, yes, we should engineer the tolerances. But today, there's tremendous pressure to get new designs to market. The consuming public has an attentions span of seconds these days. :) Consequently, and hopefully with a DFMEA process, we pick and choose the critical tolerances to be investigated and engineered. This isn't every one ...

The product goes into production and we start making components. And hopefully, SPC is done with due diligence. Reality is (hopefully via a PFMEA) that a lot of attention is given to key characteristics. Other dimensions - not so much. Fast forward a year after start of regular production and we have an assembly issue of some relatively innocuous feature. And we can't make parts. We start the investigation and find that we aren't capable, and never really were. But ... we have a years worth of production that worked just fine.

That IS testing and engineering to some degree. It's a lot less controlled than a design validation test, but it has a LOT more data points. Most people measure key characteristics hourly or continuously. But EVERY dimension is measured at least daily, if not every shift. (Typically). So just looking at historical measurements, that's a lot of data points.

I'm not convinced that I can't analyze that data with the knowledge that it represents a population that works and use it to adjust tolerances - either widen or shift them - and get a better product for it.

If I go back to my press fit example, I know the pins diameters from history, I know the holes diameters from history, and I know the force required to push the pin in from my assembly process. If I suddenly crack a composite part from excessive press fit where things were working before, I would argue all this data would be better than calling the engineer and having him say "Increase the lower limit of the hole" to reduce the risk of cracking. To me, that's the lazy answer. Typically that later in production answer isn't arrived at by testing. The engineer says "meh, just move it 5 microns". Which reduces the tolerance overall by 5 microns ...

10. Bev D

I Agree that it's acceptable to open - the tolerances to match the range of historical results that have proven to be innocuous in real use. And of course the opposite is true, if in-engineered tolerances can be too tight they are tolerances that are too loose. No FMEA is perfect...

My specific comment was in response to Zeno's comment about settling tolerances so that the GRR would pass.

11. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

My comment wasn't intended to imply that you set tolerances to pass a GRR but reverse calculating the R&R to determine what gages are appropriate for what tolerances. (Just another bit of information that can be gleaned from the study)

12. ncwalker

We're diddlers. We like to poke a system from different directions and see what happens. Sometimes it even WORKS !!!

13. Bev D

Clarity appreciated!