1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Gage Certification

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Towndogg, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Towndogg

Towndogg Member

When I send my gages to a calibration house, what should I expect to see on the calibration certification to comply to IATF 16949?
    In the past I have received "in" or "out" with no readings. Is this sufficient or should I be asking for "readings as received" and "readings as issued"?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

To run an effective gauge control program, you really need the "as found" condition and the calibration results. This will, apart from anything else, help to determine how much more use the gauge can tolerate before it becomes useless.

3. The PPAP Assassin

The PPAP Assassin Active Member

Usually it's best for all measurement test results to be NIST traceable. Look for that or ask them. If they are not, I recommend sending them out to a place that offers that feature. Also look for an accredited lab that carries an ISO 17025 certificate. It's your money! Why not get the best service possible?
    All my certs usually have a "PASS" or "FAIL" result. Never heard of "In" or "Out" on a certificate. Hmm.

QUALI likes this.
  4. Towndogg

Towndogg Member

Is it a IATF requirement, to have "as found" and "calibration results" on the certification? If yes, where can I find it?

5. Towndogg

Towndogg Member

This is what I receive from the calibration house for a torque wrench.
    The certification reads under the "calibration information" the following:

Received condition Returned Condition
    In/out tolerance: IN Passed Calibration: Y
    Inoperative: N In Tolerance: Y
    Required Repair: N In tolerance after Repair: N/A
    Seals: OK Limited Calibration: N

6. Towndogg

Towndogg Member

Let me try this again. I looks too busy in the aforementioned post.

Received condition.......... Returned Condition
    ...In/out tolerance: IN......... ... Passed Calibration: Y
    ...Inoperative: N .................... In Tolerance: Y
    ...Required Repair: N .......... ... In tolerance after Repair: N/A
    ...Seals: OK ............................ Limited Calibration: N

7. The PPAP Assassin

That sounds good to me.

But are they an accredited lab? Are their certs NIST traceable?

8. The PPAP Assassin

If you are looking for IATF requirements, have you checked to see what the standard says for monitoring and measurement results? Do you own a copy of it?

9. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

No there is not a specific IATF requirement. But calibration providers need to be ISO 17025 accredited (with some exceptions).

10. Towndogg

Towndogg Member

The outside lab I am using has a "Perry Johnson" Certification of accreditation and they are a ISO/IEC 17025 lab.

Yes I have the current IATF 16949: 2016 manual but, I can't find where it states that I need before and after data. Under "7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records" b) states: "any out-of -tolerance readings as received."

It doesn't say anything about any in-tolerance readings. f) states: "statements of conformity to specification after calibration verification" Does a "good" or "pass" statement satisfy this or should I have numbers?

Yes the certification does state the equipment used to calibrate the torque wrench and its traceability to nist.

11. Serious Man

Serious Man Active Member

b) was put there to avoid hiding of out-of-specification results.
    In-specification results are required there too. It is not written in standard. It is logic.

I do not have ISO 17025, but after short "googling" I found last year draft of this year revision of this standard.
    Of course it is draft, but we can expect that released standard or maybe even obsolete one were similar in this area.

Section 7.9.2 Test reports and calibration certificates – common requirements
    7.9.2.1 Each test report or calibration certificate shall include at least the following information, unless the laboratory has valid reasons for not doing so, thereby minimizing any possibility of misunderstanding or misuse:
    [...]
    l) the test or calibration results with, where appropriate, the units of measurement;
    [...]
    7.9.3 Test reports – specific requirements
    In addition to the requirements listed in 7.9.2, test reports shall, where necessary for the interpretation of the test results, include the following:
    [...]
    b) where relevant, a statement of conformity with requirements or specifications;
    7.9.4 Calibration certificates – specific requirements
    7.9.4.1 In addition to the requirements listed in 7.9.2, calibration certificates shall include the following:
    [...]
    d) the results before and after adjustment or repair, if available.

It is worth to ask laboratory about requirements of standard related to content of certifcate and whether they are fully compliant in this area before we place and calibration order.
    Answer seems to be obvious in case of already certificated laboratories, but ...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  12. Towndogg

Towndogg Member

Thanks Serious Man and everybody for getting this resolved! I did not have a copy of ISO/IEC 17025, but will get one. I believe you have answered all my questions.

13. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Simply put, to run an effective calibration system, you need to know the data from the "as found" condition, so you can make the right decision about when to recall the device. If you have no information about any wear which may have taken place, it's impossible to set a recall to catch the thing in spec.