1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Free quality training

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Mayor, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Mayor

Mayor Member

Hello People,

Please I need a link to online training courses with certification. Specifically, trainings in process management and improvement, quality assurance and control, data and business analysis. The popular ones I know, although they parade as free but somewhat require one to still purchase the training modules or the certificate.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Mayor, have you heard the expression about something which is free having no value? It's true for training. In 40+ years of industrial experience, I can assure you that much of what is "free" should be avoided. Experience shows that much of what is "free" on the internet is not worth your time. I frequently see Youtube videos which are simply cut and paste from others' items of work, including my own books and training materials.

Beware!

Mayor likes this.
  3. Clément Lefebvre

Clément Lefebvre New Member

4. Andy Nichols

Hi Clement and welcome. Can you explain the basis of your comment? Have you used these companies?

5. Clément Lefebvre

Clément Lefebvre New Member

Hello,
    I am using Coursera on other topics (artificial intelligence, web design and datascience). The content is usually very good. They offer as well trainings on quality management.

Regarding the link to ClassCentral, well it's a list of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses). So I am afraid I didn't use them all.

Have a good day

6. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

Free "training" can be had if one opens their mind a bit and stops thinking inside the "online" box. There is no magic in online training. Many people have learned much from reading books and magazines. The public library is still a great resource for conventional books as well as audiobooks and DVDs. I have learned much from books and articles by Dr. Deming, Dr. Donald J Wheeler (he has tons of excellent free articles on his website and in Quality Digest archives), Davis Balestracci (again lots of good free articles available), Brian Joyner, and others.

Certifications...well, one usually has to pay for such things, but if it means that much to you (and/or your employer) then pay the money. If knowledge is more important, then forget the certifications. If certifications are important, pony up the $ for an ASQ membership.

Also consider cheap credit and non-credit courses provided by local community colleges - perhaps you qualify for a grant.

7. Andy Nichols

Don't confuse training with education. Training helps develops skills, if it's done correctly. Reading etc. may educate but it doesn't train.

8. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

The area separating training and education is often blurry and the terminology is often used interchangeably, at least to a degree, in the workplace. I can indeed train myself by reading, then doing, and have done so often. For example, my buddy who is a master plumber, or a teacher (trainer?) at a trade school can "train" me hands-on to sweat two copper pipes together, or I can read how to do it in a book and train myself. Even if you say I educated myself and not trained myself, in the end I got the pipes together.

The OP asked about "trainings in process management and improvement, quality assurance and control, data and business analysis". Does he want someone to (for example) "train" him how to create a I-MR chart or does he want to be "educated" about control charts and their use? Do trainers never educate and educators never train? I dunno. I provided him some options he could use to gain knowledge.

9. Andy Nichols

What you are describing is a feature of the "YouTube Effect" where people see something being done and believe they can do it after watching a video. However, for more complex tasks there's often a lot which goes undescribed and there's no competency "test" at the end. Beware.

10. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

All options, including training performed by "professional trainers" who give "competency tests" at the end have their pluses and minuses. Beware of this fact, too.

11. Andy Nichols

As a professional trainer and qualified instructional designer, I am all too aware of those who claim to be trainers and administer tests, thanks. But then that's true in all kinds of settings. Hence my observations.