1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

FF-S-92C 4.5.2.1 explanation

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by Bryan Willemot1, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Bryan Willemot1

Bryan Willemot1 New Member

Good day all,
    asking for some help on this particular SPEC for testing, we are an Aerospace / Military Fastener company, and we are making some parts and cannot perform the bend test and have to revert to 4.5.2.1 in which if i'm not mistaken it is the old hammer test on the head of the fastener? could someone help me out and let me know if i'm correct in this? thanks in advance.

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Bryan Willemot1 , and welcome to the site.

It sounds similar to the JIS B-1051 "head percussion test" that my lab performed (years ago). I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the standard you are referring to.

The council I can give, is as follows...

1- It sounds as if this is an existing product (vis-a-vis "revert"), and you are needing to use an alternate test method. (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case...
    a) What is the arrangement with the customer ? (i.e. is there a "control plan" or test plan or other agreed to method/frequency of verification? ) If so, then I would assume your organization is getting a deviation approved by the customer to use a different method.
    b) The test that I am familiar with, uses a fixture of specified angle. This would need to be "calibrated" or verified to that angle (and hole dia/chamfer ., etc...)

2- I would be concerned of any verification test (specifically one as significant to performance and risk as a mechanical properties test..., which this is), without having a copy of, and being familiar with the standard.

I believe having approval from the customer and owning/familiarizing with the standard will provide you the answer(s) you are seeking.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.