1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Environmental aspect and Impacts & Compliance Obligation - Chillers and Air Compressors

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by Lafir Ali Rinos, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Lafir Ali Rinos

Lafir Ali Rinos Member

Hello friends,

I work in a manufacturing company which is located at Sharjah - UAE, we have utilizing the resources like Chillers and Air compressors for our regular purpose.

I have little bit confusion while framing environmental aspects and impacts for our organization that either we have to consider these utilities and define the aspects,impacts & Control measure of those equipment or not?

If so, suggest me the Aspects & impacts involved in it and also any compliance obligation related to it Regionally, Nationally level.

Thanks and Regards

Lafir Ali Rinos

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Lafir Ali Rinos ;
    If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if/how your chillers and air compressors...
    1- Can impact (if at all) the environment
    2- Are accountable to legal conformance requirements.

In regards to whether or not these items can impact the environment (be considered an environmental aspect/contributor), consider the following...
    1- Environmental aspect
    a) Electricity use (ie. does the compressor run "constantly"? only when needed ? etc..etc...).
    b) Does the chiller utilize insulation which can reduce the amount of electricity use?
    c) Escape (i.e. does the chiller fluid contain an any chemicals, which, if allowed to escape can impact the environment negatively?
    d) Alternatives (i.e. Is the chiller closed loop or open loop?...[does it reduce the amount of water used by being closed loop? Does it reduce/prevent release by being a closed loop?] )
    e) Is any of the equipment fuel (gasoline, etc..) powered? (if so, the output pollution, the amount of fuel usage, etc...) can all be considered environmental impact.

2- Compliance
    a) Are the chemicals within the chiller controlled to prevent a nonconformance release?
    b) Are there tank inspections (integrity) that are required at periodic intervals? (Usually are for pressurized tanks)

Reminder, ISO 14001 requires your organization is aware of legal and compliance obligations, BUT 14001 is NOT a compliance standard and the audits are not (should not be) to be compliance audits.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  3. Lafir Ali Rinos

Lafir Ali Rinos Member