1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Difference between Objective and Quality objective

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by ferozqa, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ferozqa

ferozqa New Member

What is the difference between "Objective" and "Quality Objective",

as per my under standing "Quality objective" is improvement to already existing "objective"

the clause 6.2 says "Quality objectives and planning" needs to be done to address risk and opportunities

how can I define a quality objective for the risk and opportunity which I have identified for first time

2. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

Hi, ferozqa and welcome to the forum :D

Don't try to overthink this. Quality objectives are a sub set of the organization's objectives, specifically covering producing products and delivering services that customers want. Other objectives include environmental, health and safety, financial etc.

If you want to align your quality objectives with identified risks and opportunities it would help if you can give us some idea as to what they are and we can give you some more specific advice.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

According to ISO 9000:2015 definitions:
    3.7.1 Objective - result to be achieved
    Note 1 to entry: An objective can be strategic, tactical, or operational.
    Note 2 to entry: Objectives can relate to different disciplines (such as financial, health and safety, and environmental objectives) and can apply at different levels (such as strategic, organization (3.2.1)-wide, project (3.4.2), product (3.7.6) and process (3.4.1)).
    Note 3 to entry: An objective can be expressed in other ways, e.g. as an intended outcome, a purpose, an operational criterion, as aquality objective (3.7.2) or by the use of other words with similar meaning (e.g. aim, goal, or target).
    Note 4 to entry: In the context of quality management systems (3.5.4)quality objectives (3.7.2) are set by the organization (3.2.1), consistent with the quality policy (3.5.9), to achieve specific results.
    Note 5 to entry: This constitutes one of the common terms and core definitions for ISO management system standards given in Annex SL of the Consolidated ISO Supplement to the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 1. The original definition has been modified by modifying Note 2 to entry.​
    3.7.2 Quality Objective - objective related to quality
    Note 1 to entry: Quality objectives are generally based on the organization's (3.2.1)quality policy (3.5.9).
    Note 2 to entry: Quality objectives are generally specified for relevant functions, levels and processes (3.4.1) in the organization (3.2.1).
    I don't know where you get this but reading the entire clause 6.2 of ISO 9001:2015 I didn't see any words mentioning "risks and opportunities".