1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Context of the Organization-ISO9001:2015

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by MCW8888, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Jamie Lill

Jamie Lill Member

You have defined this perfectly.
    The word context is throwing everybody off
    You do not need charts matrix's,tables etc this is to the point. You could even compact this statement even more.
    We strive to sell a quality product/process on time and at a fair price.
    You do not have to put in your industry, who you sell to you location. Just the one statement!

2. Jamie Lill

Jamie Lill Member

I disagree,
    My vision statement is to sell a quality product at a fair price.
    The context of my organization is to is to sell a quality product at a fair price.
    No more no less.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

So, this is true for 95% of organizations out there. How can it be your organization's context? It's like most organization's quality policy: "To meet or exceed customers expectations". It can't be everyones!

I suspect that, given a good understanding of interested parties and external and internal issues, defining the context of the organization is going to be a lot more than such a simple statement!

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I would not want to work with or for an organization whose vision was "To sell a quality product at a fair price." It lacks heart, soul, and...well...vision. Vision is about the future...or to serve as a reminder as to WHY your organization exists.

As an example, a friend of mine works in the field of bus manufacturing. His organization's vision to be a world leader in bus building or something to that effect. Yawn! Not very inspiring. Not very visionary. I felt no inclination to work for him or buy from him. So then we discussed WHY buses...why build buses?...why build better buses...why did it matter if his organization was a world leader? And while we never fully landed on it, our initial vision was something to effect of "We promote a transit lifestyle and enable communities grow closer." Hey...it's a draft. But think about it. Taking public transit is a lifestyle. People who take public transit spend a good portion of their day in a completely different environment than those who take their cars. And, as communities grow, public transit can keep the community together...it ties one side of the city to the other. THAT's a vision.

Putting all the touchy-feely stuff aside, what makes your organization the one to determine (a) the product is quality and (b) it is a fair price?

Context is like introducing someone special. Let's say we're at a party and I want to introduce you to one of my friends. Do I introduce you like, "Hi, this is Jamie and he sells a quality product at a fair price"? I really haven't said much about you at all...such as the type of product or where or what makes your product stand out. Context is like a short bio...like what you see on the backs of books about the authors.

"Hi, this is Jamie. His organization has been making XXX since ####. Using continual improvement, his organization continues to lead the way in providing XXX that not only meet contractual and regulatory requirements, but also seeks out and develops cost-saving approaches to processes involved in the manufacturing of XXX."

Hardly perfect, but now we're getting somewhere with putting your organization in context and making it sound a like dynamic system.

tony s likes this.
  5. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

Like the others I'd disagree.

The context of the organisation is the working environment / market it operates in and so consists of customers (from your example), competitors, regulators, lobby groups. Taking Roxane's bus example the context is extremely complicated. I posted a blog through the CQI trying to explain a simpler case for context - here: http://blog.thecqi.org/index.php/2015/10/22/iso-90012015-context-is-king/

Hope this helps.