1. Hello and Welcome to The Quality Forum Online...Continuing in the spirit of People Helping People !
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Combining QMS Audit with Manufacturing Audit

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Josepi, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Josepi

Josepi New Member

Has anyone combined their Quality Management Systems audits with their Manufacturing audits? Is this just my interpretation that you can? As long as you show a process approach (sketch out a turtle diagram or follow a process flow), couldn't you design and plan your audits to cover both? We manufacture iron castings by the way. So, I would imagine that manufacturing audits would not apply to some of our office or support functions.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

You can, but may I ask "Why?" Manufacturing process audits usually use the Control plan as the audit criteria. A Quality Management Systems internal audit (can) use much more to audit...

3. Josepi

Josepi New Member

I like the approach of using a control plan to audit. We have a Key Process Matrix for each process area which not only lists out each of the key smaller process areas of a larger manufacturing process (i.e. finishing) but it shows interaction with the Turtle diagram, Flow chart, process FMEA, and Control Plan. I might simply use the key process matrix for manufacturing audits. Perhaps we will do the Manufacturing audits on the same day as our QMS audits. Just turn your hat around and your a Manufacturing auditor.

upload_2017-12-13_14-16-42.png

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

But it's NOT a QMS audit because you are missing a ton of process which support the manufacturing process... Can I ask if you've had QMS auditor training?